YouTube Lag on RMP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by King Shady, Jun 28, 2012.

1. King Shady macrumors 6502

King Shady

Hey all, I've had my Retina Macbook Pro for about two weeks and I have been enjoying it so much! There a couple of issues that have gotten to me (which I assume will be fixed with Mountain Lion), but the main problem is YouTube lag in Safari. I have a 50mbps internet connection and sometimes when I try to load a video, my computer just freezes with the spinning beach ball and Safari is completely unresponsive. I have to wait at least 10-15 seconds for Safari to basically come back to life with the video. It's very agitating, I have even installed the HTML5 mod for Safari, which does help when videos have the option for it. Anyone else experiencing this problem? Thanks

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.

3. King Shady thread starter macrumors 6502

King Shady

Thanks I will try this!

Edit - Thanks for the last suggestion, that seems to solve the issues =D

4. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Flash even lags on my Mac Pro! :p I always am sure to choose HTML 5 when it is available.

5. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

HTML5 video player on youtube is really terrible compared to their standard flash version. Even though it looks similar, UI is clunkier and the full screen playback is really bad in some browsers. I avoid it like a plague. Too bad to hear about this problem, I hope it's just you having some older old flash installed, and not a common issue.

6. King Shady thread starter macrumors 6502

King Shady

HTML5 is so much smoother, it's night and day!

7. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

Out of curiosity, can you find out what flash version you have installed? For h264 video there should be no difference in playback performance between html5 and flash as they both use gpu to decode and display now. However, in Firefox at work, html5 youtube player just chugs a lot for me in full screen, or even larger screen mode. If it's latest flash, that's bad to hear about performance problem on rmbp.

8. King Shady thread starter macrumors 6502

King Shady

I've got the latest version of Flash installed