YouTube LAGGGGGGGG

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by BFW122083, Apr 22, 2015.

1. BFW122083, Apr 22, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2015

BFW122083 macrumors 6502

**Here is a quick video of my macbook showing the issue**

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cw2S71td9iU

If you have a rmb...

Go to youtube. Play an HD video (720p is fine), maximize the video to full screen, then minimize back to normal.

Is the lag horrible for you? It tries to minimize, then fills up the page with a blown up video, then finally goes back to normal. I have never complained on here before, but oh man its pretty bad. I might have to go back to a pro.

I know the whole "this computer isn't for everybody" spiel. I didn't obsess over the specs and told myself as long as it performs ok, no problemo. Unfortunately, as the days go on I'm starting to notice performance issues that shouldn't be around in 2015 :(. 1.2ghz by the way...

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I will somewhat put your mind at ease. I have a rMBP 2015 13", and there is a good amount of UI lag with Yosemite. I do not really know if it is the integrated graphics, yosemite, or a combination of the two. Being such a new product, I think it is a combination of the drivers not being optimized yet.

3. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's what I'm thinking about swapping for. I have only noticed the bad lag on youtube. I don't mind a little stutter here and there, but was just bad. Oddly enough iMovie seems to perform just fine. I'm just having second guesses. I gave my wife my old Pro and she loves it. When I compare the two the pro just looks and feels ancient, but performs better. Decisions...

4. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

I just tested this and I have zero issues at all. I went to YouTube and played a video, then maximized it to full screen then back to normal then back to full screen then back to normal. Did this about 5-6 times and there was no lag at all. Perhaps it's the internet connect?

5. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well that's promising. I don't know? I get a consistent 20mbps down so I don't think its my connection. I'm uploading a youtube vid and will link to it when its done.

6. timcrook macrumors newbie

haven't tried this myself, but haven't there been numerous people playing 4k video on youtube with no problems?

7. fatefulwhisper macrumors regular

I confirmed this and tried it myself... ran a 4k video on youtube, switched it down to 1440p, and 1080p, fullscreened it multiple times, no lag on Safari. CPU shot up as high as 50%; ran pretty smooth, no issues.

I also tried the same 4k video on Chrome just for fun; it lags really bad at 4k; CPU shot up to 310%. At 1440p, it's "watchable" with a few noticeable frame drops; CPU at 120%. At 1080p, it's smooth.

1.2GHz/512 rMB

8. noobinator macrumors 601

Definitely sounds like a connection problem. Not a laggggggg problem. :cool:

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

It maybe the connection. When I did this I was in my home office and it's a 50mbps download/upload speed. If you continue to have this issue I may see if there's a problem with the machine itself.

Which browser are you using?

10. bdspilot macrumors newbie

I get lag anytime i resize a window in Yosemite. On youtube if i use the youtube full screen it is fine. If I use the green dot to resize up or down it is noticeable.

11. legioxi macrumors 6502a

What browser?

12. 5errated macrumors member

One reviewer said they loaded up a 4k youtube video and it played flawlessly

13. noobinator macrumors 601

If it's chrome, then I think we know the problem.

14. sookainian macrumors regular

If we watched the same review video, he was using quicktime to play back 4k video.

15. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

I added a video link at the top that I put on youtube so you all can see :) Software or hardware issue??

16. Dennison macrumors regular

Dennison

I wouldn't second guess my entire purchase because of a YouTube flash player hitch!

This is a software problem on Yosemite. It should get ironed out, happens to me too (definitely not that badly however), quite an unfortunate oversight.

I watch a lot of YouTube videos in HD through full-screened Safari and/or full-screen YouTube. When I want to exit through the flash player, Yosemite gets confused and wants to minimize back into the original Desktop window. So I just use three fingers to jump back into Safari instead to avoid this for now.

17. noobinator macrumors 601

As my Dr. would say "Stop doing that then".

18. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Just tried it on my base MacBook with that same trailer, zero issues and it wasn't even fully loaded when I tried it 3 times. You either have internet issues or a problem with your MB.

19. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

I know its not the internet from all the other things in the house that are working fine (other macs, iPads, iPhones, Apple TV).

----------

lol, I want to be able to do it though!

20. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

You have your answer then.

21. noobinator macrumors 601

Does it do it every single time? Did you restart? Maybe re-install OSX if it keeps happening?

22. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

I don't want to second guess my purchase, but I'm the kind of guy that if this is always going to happen it will drive me nuts. I know the specs on this aren't the greatest, but I definitely want it to perform "everyday" tasks smoothly.

----------

Yup, every time. I have restarted a few times, tried other computers, etc...

Only happens on my macbook :(

----------

Yeah, it's a bummer. The only thing keeping me from returning it right now is the hope that it's a software glitch that can be fixed.

23. dexterbell macrumors 6502a

Its not a software glitch. Im running the exact same software you are, zero issues. Its your internet, something you've installed or have running or your computer.

24. noobinator macrumors 601

You never said what browser yet? Or is it quicktime?

If it's Safari, did you try re-installing OSX?

25. BFW122083 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's Safari. First thing I did when I got it was wipe the drive and install 10.10.3 through internet recovery.

----------

I know people always say "It's not my internet", but it really isn't. The other macs in the house don't do this at all and I don't have any downloading issues. I consistently get 20mbps down. If you watch the video towards the end I show where the video downloaded all the way already and fast forward through it a little to show its not the internet.