YouTube lags a lot.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MathiasLa, Jan 20, 2013.

1. MathiasLa macrumors member

Hey MacRumors forum. My 2.2 Ghz i7 quadcore 8 GB mac is lagging alot, when I'm watching videos on youtube. What can this be caused by?

2. RedCroissant Suspended

YouTube. What I do is download and install the click-to-flash plugin and make sure that only HTML5 or QT videos load up in YT. Flash videos make it lag.

Another thing you cold do is change your user agent to make youtube think that you're using a mobile device. This way, the page loads faster normally and making YT think that you're on an iPad will prevent all flash videos from loading or even being displayed(I think).

3. walkie macrumors 6502

I experienced this issue too a little time ago, and it seems to be safari's flash plugin, try to re-download/update flash plugin or use another navigator like Chrome to watch youtube videos.

4. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

I have Macs that aren't 1/4th as powerful as yours that run Youtube just fine. I second ClickToPlugin. As suggested, try reinstalling flash. Check your CPU usage in Activity Monitor.

5. Nimravus macrumors member

It's flash. I had the same problem. I have uninstalled flash from all my computers now and just don't use any sites that have flash. When I went HTML5 on YouTube it plays fine.

6. Namtaro macrumors regular

I find a lot of times, HTML5 on YouTube still too buggy. Normal playback is fine, but if I want to click certain parts of the video quickly, it's much slower than Flash.

Also another thing, isn't HTML5 only supported on videos without advertisements?... which is like nearly every video.

7. Nimravus macrumors member

Yeah thats the down side of no flash, as there are times when I can't watch a video here and there because I don't have flash installed. It bugs me for a minute then I get over I when I find another video to watch. Lol.

And some sites still require flash to work. I just can use those sites. For example, I just recently went to a Sushi restaurant website and its all flash. So I just sent an email to the owner to stop using flash and got over it.

I just think the more people that uninstall flash the better in the long run as I will speed up the death of flash faster.