YouTube Layout Bug in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ipedro, Apr 25, 2010.

1. ipedro macrumors 68040

ipedro

Does this happen to anyone else?

[​IMG]

Any advice on how to fix it?

2. tdgrn macrumors 6502

This bug for me was caused by enabling the HTML5 beta.
    Go to www.youtube.com/html5 and leave the beta, everything will render in Flash:eek:, but it does render properly.

This is the first time I have seen a Beta from Google that didn't work properly.

3. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Yep, it's a longstanding issue with the HTML 5 beta. Considering how long it's been around for, it doesn't seem to be a high priority for Google so don't expect a fix any time soon :(

4. mac2x macrumors 65816

Never had any trouble with the HTML5 beta...and you can bet I'm on it. :D

5. ironman159 macrumors regular

ironman159

I also had that problem last week, and nothing, and I do mean NOTHING helped getting it fixed. Permissions, Click2Flash, flash itself, Safari itself, cookies, cache, plug-ins, didn't have anything to do with it.

It was Google's HTML 5 Beta.

Surprise a Google Beta caused this problem, because, you know, Goggle calls every new product a Beta, even though the product itself is 3 years old (cough... Gmail.... cough).

Best solution is to leave the Beta for now and try again later. Hope this helps.;)

6. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

:eek:

This is the first post I've seen from somebody *not* having this problem. Is there anyone else out there that is not having this issue?

7. mac2x macrumors 65816

I have had problems with the search function on HTML5 pages at YT, but I've never seen the pages effed up like the OP's screenshot.

8. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

I'm pretty sure it's a problem with the version of WebKit the current version of Safari is using. Download the latest version of WebKit and the problem shouldn't be there(this does not actually update the Webkit in Safari, it's a separate pseudo application, it's just a temporary fix until Apple updates the engine in Safari).

9. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Fixed

I fixed it: I have ClickToFlash and changed the YouTube setting to open videos in QuickTime. This solved the problem.

HTML5 videos open in an HTML5 player and what used to be flash videos play with the QuickTime embedded player. Related videos no longer jump to the left when I hover over them. Everything behaves correctly.

10. aiqw9182 macrumors 65816

I found ClickToFlash to slow Safari down considerably. I opted for GlimmerBlocker instead to get rid of just the flash ads. Also the method I mentioned above for fixing this works fine.

11. ipedro thread starter macrumors 68040

ipedro

Thanks for the tip. Nonetheless, making the change to Quicktime in ClickToFlash worked instantly. The problem is sorted out.

I use ClickToFlash because I want to disable all flash until I actually want to see it, not just ads.