YouTube main page crashing Safari and Firefox

Discussion in 'macOS' started by martynmc7, Oct 30, 2009.

1. martynmc7 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

Mysteriously today the YouTube main page has been crashing Safari every time I visit it. There were no problems a few days ago, the last time I visited the site, yet I get the beachball every time.

I thought this may be a Safari problem, so I tried Firefox, same thing happens. Funny thing is, I can get into YouTube through other ways (such as video links etc.) and everything works fine, it's just the front page.

I tried reinstalling Flash to no avail, I've disabled all 3rd-party plugins to no avail, and I can't reinstall Safari because the installer wont work on Snow Leopard.

Anybody else been having this problem? Any solutions?

Cheers guys,
    -Martyn

2. FriDay85 macrumors member

I have just come accross this problem.

When i go to the YouTube homepage my browser crashes. This is happening in Firefox, Opera, Google Chrome and Safari.

3. martynmc7 thread starter macrumors regular

At least it's not just me, though as a strange aside this problem is only there on my MacBook Pro and not my iMac...

4. martynmc7 thread starter macrumors regular

This is either an issue with Flash or JavaScript as disabling either stops the crash issue. It definitely seems to be related to the big Flash ad at the top of YouTube as that's the one thing that doesn't load properly before Safari or Firefox crashes.

Still not fix yet...

5. couto27 macrumors 6502

same here since last week , 50% of the videos will crash, safari ,firefox ,opera

and im using emac g4 powerpc (2005 ati) leopard 10.5.8
    :eek::eek::eek::eek:

6. martynmc7 thread starter macrumors regular

Right, found a fix!

Hopefully this will work for everyone. Go to Library/Internet plu-ins/ and delete the two flash plugin files.

Then re-download the latest update for your version of OS X (so mine was 10.6.1) and re-install it.

Afterwards Flash will be working, but not the latest version, so go to Adobe's website and download the latest version and everything should be fine!

No idea why this has happened completely out of the blue, but hopefully that helps.