Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube Music has launched a new feature in its iOS app that allows users to read the lyrics to a song as it's playing.

youtube-music-video-lyrics.jpg

To use the new lyrics feature, tap the Info (i) button beneath the video that you're currently watching, then scroll down. If lyrics to the song are available, you'll see them below the tracking bar.

Unlike some song lyrics available in Apple Music, song lyrics in YouTube Music don't advance in real time as the song progresses, so you'll have to scroll down manually if you want to keep in time to the music.

As noted by The Verge, not all tracks on YouTube Music come with lyrics, even if they've been published on official artist or record label accounts, but they could still be propagating as the feature continues to roll out.
The new lyrics feature in YouTube Music for iOS works for both paying and non-paying users. Customers who subscribe to Google Play Music are also automatically signed up to YouTube Music, which is expected to replace the former service soon.

Real-time lyrics were just added to Apple Music on Mac via an update. For a direct comparison between ?Apple Music? and Google Play/YouTube Music, click here.

Article Link: YouTube Music iOS App Gains Song Lyrics Feature

d0nK

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2011
UK
Ah yes. Now we can sing along with the celebrities - "Imagine no possessions. It's easy if you try, with one rule for you peasants and another for I".

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
If you could then how would you WATCH all those ads? Them advertisers ain’t spending their money for you to just listen to ’em.
android phones have always been able to do this. I still don't understand the limitation with iPhones.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018
sigh, wake me up when I can close YouTube and continue to have the audio play.
sigh......"YouTube Music is available to download and use for free, with users able to listen to their tunes with ads dispersed between tracks. The free version will also stop musicfrom playing when the app is offline forcing users to upgrade to the Premium version to listen to music whenever they like."

No idea if the free version does not work in background on android. seems like a design choice by developer. Maybe take your complaint to the, perhaps they will fix it. Or pay for the subscription.

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
sigh......"YouTube Music is available to download and use for free, with users able to listen to their tunes with ads dispersed between tracks. The free version will also stop musicfrom playing when the app is offline forcing users to upgrade to the Premium version to listen to music whenever they like."

No idea if the free version does not work in background on android. seems like a design choice by developer. Maybe take your complaint to the, perhaps they will fix it. Or pay for the subscription.
I don’t listen to music on YouTube I have plenty of other channels I follow that would Be nice to listen to with the screen off.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.