Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

YouTube Music Readies Free Upload Feature, Google Play Music Migration Service Coming

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube Music appears to be readying a feature that proved a big draw for Google Play Music fans - the ability to upload your own music collection to the cloud. Google has published a new support document explaining how music uploads will work in YouTube Music.

If you're on a computer you'll be able to add your personal music library either by dragging files to any surface on music.youtube.com, or by clicking on your profile picture and selecting "Upload music." The feature supports FLAC, M4A, MP3, OGG and WMA files. The support document notes that music uploads cannot be completed in the YouTube Music mobile app, uploads will not influence the user's music recommendations in YouTube Music, and uploads stay private.

To view or manage uploaded music, you can tap (in the app) or click "Uploads" in the Albums section of the library. The big bonus here is that uploaded songs can be played in the background, ad-free and offline - even if you're not a YouTube Music Premium subscriber. It's basically the same feature Google Play Music offered, so that's good news for anyone who wants to switch to Google's new music streaming service.

Google is asking users looking to transfer their entire Google Play Music library to "stay tuned" for a seamless way to do so. "Nothing is changing with Google Play Music right now," says the document. "When we do replace Google Play Music with YouTube Music, we'll be sure to give you plenty of advance notice."

Article Link: YouTube Music Readies Free Upload Feature, Google Play Music Migration Service Coming

4jasontv

macrumors 68040
Jul 31, 2011
I’d like to point out that Apple Music has always had this as well. It’s quite convenient.

And I would like to point out that Apple Music has both a Mac and Windows app that allows offline playback, collection management, options to side load music to devices without uploading it to the cloud, and doesn’t hijack the multimedia keys on your keyboard.

Comment

2010mini

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2013
But Apple Music destroys your tags and album artwork in doing so. That's enough for me to have cancelled their service.

Plus this sounds like I can do this for free with Youtube. Another win.

all the original and custom album artwork never got changed when I used iTunes Match.

Comment

ChromeAce

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Apple Music fixed the mangled tags problem years ago when I first reported it on their newly launched Twitter support account. All user-edited tags and artwork remain intact. Additionally, Apple Music properly integrates your uploaded tracks into the master library of public Apple Music tracks. YouTube Music is segregating them in an Uploads section, a horrible idea.

Reactions: FightTheFuture
Comment

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Is there a track limit? 100.000 songs or unlimited? As far as I can see, the support document doesn't mention any limit ...

Last edited:
Comment

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
I’d like to point out that Apple Music has always had this as well. It’s quite convenient.
Uhh, So what? Google play music has had this for along time. This is a migration of both services.
[automerge]1582389571[/automerge]
Apple Music fixed the mangled tags problem years ago when I first reported it on their newly launched Twitter support account. All user-edited tags and artwork remain intact. Additionally, Apple Music properly integrates your uploaded tracks into the master library of public Apple Music tracks. YouTube Music is segregating them in an Uploads section, a horrible idea.
If you are a main stream user Apple Music is good. If you like live one off performances, and other music not available on Spotify or AM, as I do, YTM great. in addition no commercials YouTube included.

Last edited:
Reactions: seanrt
Comment

progx

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2003
Pennsylvania
Apple has had this service for quite some time, even before Apple Music, with iTunes Match. They still haven’t replaced it, but you can still get it for $24.99 per year. I’ve had it since launch!

I have Apple Music as well, but it doesn’t retain all the iTunes Match features. Which is why I keep both.

Must be Google is looking to rebrand its services under the YouTube banner.

Comment

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
Apple has had this service for quite some time, even before Apple Music, with iTunes Match. They still haven’t replaced it, but you can still get it for $24.99 per year. I’ve had it since launch!

I have Apple Music as well, but it doesn’t retain all the iTunes Match features. Which is why I keep both.

Must be Google is looking to rebrand its services under the YouTube banner.

What exactly is Apple Music missing that iTunes Match offers? Everything I read said that if you subscribe to AM, this also includes every feature of Match – that's why I'm curious.

Reactions: DeepIn2U
Comment

ChromeAce

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
What exactly is Apple Music missing that iTunes Match offers? Everything I read said that if you subscribe to AM, this also includes every feature of Match – that's why I'm curious.

iTunes Match allows you the exclusive ability to download upgraded quality AAC versions of your own music for free without DRM. For example, if you have an MP3 collection encoded at 192k, you would be able to download the 256k AAC iTunes versions to your computer to use as you wish. To help combat piracy in this scenario, however, the files are encoded with your email address so don’t be throwing those tracks up on Bit-Torrent.

• Haha
Comment

burgman

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2013
Match offers the ability to leave AM and still keep your ICloud library.

Comment

lars666

macrumors 65816
Jul 13, 2008
iTunes Match allows you the exclusive ability to download upgraded quality AAC versions of your own music for free without DRM. For example, if you have an MP3 collection encoded at 192k, you would be able to download the 256k AAC iTunes versions to your computer to use as you wish. To help combat piracy in this scenario, however, the files are encoded with your email address so don’t be throwing those tracks up on Bit-Torrent.

This is exactly what AM also offers, isn't it? Match your songs, delete your old files, download the upgraded DRM-free AAC from iTunes.

Match offers the ability to leave AM and still keep your ICloud library.

If I don't understand anything wrong here – yeah, if you only want the feature of having your own personal library in the cloud, you can chose iTunes Match (and if you had AM before and added tracks from this, I'm pretty sure they of course disappear as soon as you leave this service). And again: Nothing here that iTunes Match offers which isn't also included in AM.

progx specifically talked about keeping BOTH service for all features, therefore my question – in this case, iTunes Match must have an exclusive feature which isn't included in AM. And I am not aware of this.

Last edited:
Reactions: B/D
Comment

B/D

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2016
@progx

You don't need to keep iTunes Match anymore (since July 2016) if you subscribe to Apple Music. All features are included, and the matching algorithm now works with the iTunes Store database (not the Apple Music catalogue), so, your music is DRM free if you download it back from the cloud on any device, and you can keep the matched copies if you cancel Apple Music.

Previously, the matching algorithm worked with the Apple Music DB, and was identifying songs by metadata only (now it's using acoustic fingerprint). Thus, people were having DRM, metadata and artwork issues, which is not the case anymore.

Excuse my English.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.