Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
This is driving me nuts.

About half the time I go to view a YouTube video, or see one embedded in a forum, all I see is a scrambled image and it doesn't work. A total restart of Firefox WILL fix it most of the time, but this shouldn't be happening.

I've tried disabling all plug-ins, turning off Adblock Plus, etc, but nothing helps. I keep having this periodic, but frequent problem.

This has been happening since I got my brand-new Macbook Pro in August this year, which came pre-loaded with Lion.

I'm currently using Firefox 8.0.1 and latest updated on OSX 10.7.2. However, this has been happening for the last several versions of Firefox.

Here are screenshots of what it looks like when this happens. ANY CLUES?

youtube_prob2.png

youtube_prob1.png

r0k

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2008
Detroit
I use Chrome exclusively on every platform right now. One issue I had with FF is it kept forgetting how to load flash. I normally have flash blocked but for those times when I want to use it, I don't want to be looking at a broken puzzle piece on a machine I know has the latest flash. I would then have to go spend hours manually downloading flash as the flash based download never worked for me. Now with flash built in to Chrome, I don't ever have to think about it.

I've not seen what your screen shots depict but if it's flash related, Chrome should fix the problem. If it's html5 related, Chrome should fix the problem. To move between browsers, I put my bookmarks in xmarks. This can be used to keep bookmarks in sync across chrome, ff, ie and safari. It can also be used to "rescue" your profile from a browser (like ff) that has stopped working reliably. Sorry I can't think of a way to move tabs between browsers just yet. BTW, I never use ff sync. I never use chrome sync. All my sync takes place via xmarks. I should also mention that xmarks for Safari just plain sucks. It's not a real plugin and crashes a lot. So as long as Safari isn't one of your main browsers, xmarks is a good cross-platform-cross-browser way of managing your bookmarks.

cjmillsnun

macrumors 68020
Aug 28, 2009
Firefox is a bag of hurt and has been since version 3. It's a shame, as versions 1 and 2 were very good.

Fireproof!

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 1, 2008
Frisco, TX
Thanks guys.

Am I the only one experiencing this? If this is a "common problem" that's one thing. But if it's unique to me, I'd like to figure out what's causing it.

Re: other browsers - they "seem" to work, but I haven't tried them long enough to see. I may have to give Chrome a try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.