YouTube on an iBook G4

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by feck111, Aug 12, 2010.

1. feck111 macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently acquired an iBook G4 that seems to handle almost everything I throw at it very well. Web browsing and DVDs and even some older games zip by at a very nice speed.

There's one big deal though, YouTube is almost unwatchable on it. For a 5 year old computer this shouldn't happen - YouTube came out in '05 after all. Videos are very jerky and it's quite annoying! I am running Flash 9 and Safari 3 as well as Tiger. The machine clocks in at 1.33Ghz with 1GB of RAM.

Can anyone advise me on how to make them more watchable?

2. AppleCode macrumors regular

AppleCode

Try a different browser perhaps Camino or Firefox

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Camino for older Macs, it runs much better than anything else :D

4. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

I have the same iBook that I keep for web browsing and email etc. and to be honest it runs youTube pretty well. I'm running 10.5 Leopard and Safari 5.

If you upgrade Safari to 4 (maximum for Tiger) You could try running YouTube with HTML5 rather than Flash and see if that's any better - http://www.youtube.com/html5

5. kwood72 macrumors newbie

A third rec for Camino.

It does a nice job on my 5-year-old iBook using Tiger.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Think about this statement. YouTube isn't a static application, it's a dynamic webpage. It's been updated hundreds of times since it came out, and I doubt anything (software-wise) in it is still 5 years old.

That's like saying a MacBook Pro should be able to run System 7. System 7 came out for Mac after all. ;)

Besides, YouTube wasn't smooth on Macs when it first came out. That being said, I'd use a combination of Safari 5 with HTML5 enabled for YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/html5) and also disabling hardware acceleration (ctrl-click on any loaded flash object, settings, disable hardware acceleration). Oddly enough, disabling hardware accel. is quite effective at speeding up Flash on PPC Macs.

EDIT: Just realized you've got Tiger and so Safari 5 isn't an option. HTML5 doesn't work very well in Safari 4, so I would follow the recommendations for Camino. I'd still disable hardware acceleration and see if it helps.

7. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Two options...use the youtube mobile site, it might run a bit faster.

Or use camino.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Was about to suggest that :) But you should use Camino instead of Safari.

9. FourCandles macrumors 6502a

Have you got YT HTML5 running on Camino?

10. MacinDan macrumors regular

This has been mentioned in earlier threads, but try MacTubes. Or, append "&fmt=5" (without quotes) at the end of the youtube video's url.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I have on a semi modern Mac. So it would have a good chance at working on an iBook too :p

12. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

I have no doubt that this is true for a lot of people. I've seen many folks report it and I believe them. However on several G4 towers (ranging from a Radeon 7000 to a Radeon 9800 Pro), it appears that hardware acceleration works correctly. It greatly reduces the burden on my CPU (presumably shifting that burden to the GPU) while improving video quality. When I switch to fullscreen mode, it appears to shift that burden even further from the CPU (At least to the extent that system monitor is accurate at reporting such things).

I wonder why this is true for some but not for others even when hardware and software configurations are similar???

OP, it's worth trying and has worked for a lot of folks, but I sure would love to know why.

13. feck111 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that, everyone, Camino with HTML 5 has greatly improved the viewing performance! Also disabled hardware acceleration.

And just for the sake of it, I'll give this MacTubes a shot as well.

My mistake, guess I made the wrong sort of observation. Cut off once again...

Ah, but don't forget emulation, lol :p

14. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

That would be SO cool if it could! :D