YouTube on Front Row?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by GimmeSlack12, Jun 20, 2007.

1. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't have an Apple TV to dissect this idea on, but what does anyone think about this? I look forward to investigating the hack/option.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't think this'll have to be a hack - not at all, with the H.264 video format support move, just for iPhone users... it will be a simple matter to extend said support to Front Row in Leopard, since QuickTime can play these files natively.

As for the usefulness - it will most definitely be useful. My college instructor used YouTube in the classroom once. Imagine the possibilities. YouTube + easy full screen in Front Row = win. :D

3. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No, I'm not talking about in future releases of Front Row + Leopard. I'm talking about right now. That's kinda why I want to see what people with an Apple TV find with this update for YouTube so that the .plist for FR may be manipulated or something.

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I don't see why not... after all, all that Apple would need to do at this point is release an update for Front Row with YouTube functionality added.

5. retroneo macrumors 6502a

I tried copying the YT.frappliance from the AppleTV into the Front Row.app in Leopard. Didn't work.

6. mrthreads macrumors newbie

Any updates/ 3rd party work arounds for this?

it would be really great to be able to surf youtube videos on my imac via front row... any reason apple is holding this from consumers?? but building this functionality into apple tv??

7. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

Because YouTube is evil and shouldn't be on the AppleTV either.

8. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I don't quite understand that reasoning.

I would imagine the simple reason that YouTube is not on Front Row has to do with a) You are at a computer, just go to youtube.com or b) it's coming, wait... Leopard has been released and no youtube. Beats me, I started this thread a while ago and have since stopped really caring. oh well.

9. mrthreads macrumors newbie

doesnt need to be limited to youtube

I would love to have this any type of site with video content... i.e. stumble upon videos etc...

My iMac is essentially plays the role of TV for me.. but replace crappy networks with quality media.. not sure that apple knows how much room there is for improvement to front row... it should be the premier way to watch all of you streaming content- clutter free. again, if it works for apple tv, should work on their latest os, no?

10. desenso macrumors 6502a

desenso

That's because the reasoning is totally flawed. Go figure! I was just taking the opportunity to make a jab at YouTube.

11. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Sorry for resurrecting this thread ... I came across it while googling for Front Row frappliance extensions. Anyway, I have a file called YTURLDict.plist in my ~/Library/Application Support/Front Row directory. It's contents are:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/
    PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
            <key>appletv-youtube-auth-url</key>
            <string>https://www.google.com/</string>
            <key>appletv-youtube-url</key>
            <string>http://gdata.youtube.com/</string>
    </dict>
    </plist>

It's on two Macs, one with XCode 3 installed, the other not, but both with Leopard.

gdata is Google's data API - see e.g. http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos. So I'm guessing youtube will be coming to Front Row sometime, if not soon.

Anyway, I was looking for extensions to FR ... namely a way of navigating movies by genre. But looking at awkwardtv.org, I think I might be able to write my own. I'll take a look at their wiki and see if I can compile something for Leopard. If I can get hold of some source code, I can play about with it. Don't hold your breath though.

12. swissmad macrumors newbie

Keep Me Posted

Keep me posted on that. I'd appreciate it.

13. goka macrumors newbie

What's the big difference between the AppleTV software and Frontrow really?

People are putting out a lot of fun plugins for AppleTV http://appletvhacks.blogspot.com/, but almost none for FrontRow. Isn't the plugin architecture almost the same?

Any progress on that YouTube hack, plinden?

14. GimmeSlack12 thread starter macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

I dont' have an exact answer for you other than FrontRow and BackRow (ATV) are very different. So translating plug-ins to FR just won't work. I've sort of given up on this idea at the time being.

15. wajones macrumors newbie

I found that you can get Front Row to view the latest YouTube videos as a Podcast.

To do this open http://gdata.youtube.com/feeds/api/videos in your browser.

Then in the "Subscribe to this feed using" box select "Choose Application" navigate to your applications folder and select Front Row, that's it.

You can then view these videos from your Front Row Podcast Menu. :)

Whats odd is that this worked on my new Macbook Pro, but not on my Mac Mini Media Center, same versions of everything?

16. mrthreads macrumors newbie

Thanks wajones.. not seeing the "Subscribe to this feed using" any idea where i should be looking.. using safari, since it seems to be loading this page better than firefox..

below is a link to a shot of my screen... any suggestion or direction would be great. thanks.

http://img.skitch.com/20080702-1wq4ebfd5b6gfqik5hkp3bgerg.jpg

should i be seeing the "subscribe to" on this page?

thanks!

17. wajones macrumors newbie

Actually I didn't find anything special like I thought I did. LOL, it just happened to work the way I did it. Like I said it wouldn't work on my Mac Mini Media Center, so I did some searching.

If you open iTunes and do a search of the iTunes store for the podcast "Best of YouTube" you will be able to subscribe to it free. You can then view them all with Front Row under Podcasts.

This isn't quite the same as viewing then on the AppleTV where it is automatic, they have to be downloaded to iTunes and there are 100 videos within that one podcast, but it works well if you have a broadband connection.

There are a lot of others as well, like "The Latest at YouTube" or "The Women of YouTube" :)