Youtube on iPad: Viewing a user's favorites

Discussion in 'iPad' started by jollino, Aug 12, 2011.

1. jollino macrumors 6502

jollino

Hello all,
    my father's main (only!) machine is an iPad 2, which fits his basic needs quite well. I am however getting increasingly frustrated with Youtube on the iPad, and perhaps someone may confirm my doubts or, hopefully, give me some suggestions.

He currently doesn't have a Youtube account, and he doesn't really one, as he enjoys browsing YT pretty much as one would flick through tv channels. I do have an account, though, and I oftentimes keep favorites.
    Until today, when I wanted to show him something I had found, I would just point Safari on his iPad to http://youtube.com/myusername, and – after some magic url rewriting – I'd be shown the mobile version of it with my own featured videos and three "tabs": uploads, favorites and playlists. I just used to click favorites, and there they were.
    Today, it seems that they decided to do away with it. The only tabs are uploads, which shows my own videos, and playlists, which is empty as I've never used that feature.

Using the desktop version of the site is simply impossible on iOS: there's no way to scroll the "encased", scrollbar-equipped sections of the page.

I figured I'd use the builtin app, but either I'm blind, or there is no way to access a user's profile. In fact, there doesn't even seem to be a way to quickly see all the uploaded videos at once, except searching for the username, opening one of the videos by that user (among the others by other people that just happen to have that word somehwere), and then go to "More by" (not sure about the label, I don't have the iPad here) on the right side. It kind of works for the other videos by that user, but there seems to be no way to access the favorites of that user.

Of course, I could log in with my own account and then go to my favorites. This solution has two issues, though: 1) I have to remember to log out, lest he accidentally changes/deletes things when I'm not there; 2) I can only see my own favorites, not those marked as such by someone else.

Did I seriously overlook something obvious, or there is simply no way to do the very basic thing I'm trying to do? (That would mean having to use a full computer to do that. Quite surreal, if you ask me.)

Thanks!

2. Zcott macrumors 68020

Scroll the 'encased' sections by scrolling with two fingers.

3. ninerfan macrumors regular

Kind of off-topic, but check out the ShowYou app for your Dad. It is a great app that gets updated every day with tons of new videos, and also tv shows, etc. You can also create favorites of different friend's videos.

Disclaimer: Not in any way connected with this app, just trying to point you towards a very easy to use alternative for your Dad :)

4. jollino thread starter macrumors 6502

jollino

Zcott: I'll try that tomorrow, thanks. It never occurred to me to try and scroll with two fingers. The desktop interface is quite sluggish, though, with the lower grey bar appearing at random positions and refusing to go away for good.

ninerfan: Thanks, I'll try that out! I quickly skimmed through YT's API and it seems that there are ways to retrieve a user's favorites, so there are probably apps out there that already do that. If not, I've been looking for an iOS project anyway. :D

5. AppleTech22 macrumors 6502

Ya, I wish you could reply to comments and messages right from the app because the safari version of YouTube is bad in mobile and doesn't work well with desktop.