Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
I plan to put some videos on youtube to be viewable on iphone and have a couple of questions:

1. What bit rate (audio/video) do you recommend for talking head video? I want it to be playable via 3G with a clear picture with minimal to no buffering.

2. Is there a way I can get more than 10 minutes of video on youtube? I searched on youtube but could not find an answer

Any other tips or suggestions are appreciated. I will be converting the video from DVD using the Fair Use application. Thx in advance...

Blue Fox

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I know you can get more than 10 minutes (as I've watched 1 & 2 hour long videos on there myself). Not exactly sure if it's an account thing or what. I've never uploaded a video longer than a few minutes, so I can't say for certain, but I recently watched a 1 hour video last night.

Bitrate wise, I would just load up the highest quality. YouTube will automatically downgrade the picture quality when streaming over Edge/3G anyway, regardless of what the original quality was. That's why YouTube on the iPhone looks amazing on WiFi, but no so much on Edge/3G.

arjen92

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2008
Below sea level
Youtube no longer has the 10 minute limit. It has the 100 mb limit these days. So if you want 1 hour, you need to get really low resolution (or a deal with youtube).

FearNo1

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 9, 2009
Really...I did not know that. The site still mentions 10min limit. I googled the question about the length of video on youtube, the results said 10 mins too..hmm

Youtube no longer has the 10 minute limit. It has the 100 mb limit these days. So if you want 1 hour, you need to get really low resolution (or a deal with youtube).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.