Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fcr-900

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Hi everyone, I would like to follow up to my earlier thread of what do you use OS 9 for as a user mentioned streaming/YouTube/Audio and I am wondering how it’s possible as classilla is useless and outdated by over 10 years.
how does YouTube work on OS9? Not even windows 98/ME can play YouTube in any browser anymore

Reactions: alex_free

alex_free

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2020
Hi everyone, I would like to follow up to my earlier thread of what do you use OS 9 for as a user mentioned streaming/YouTube/Audio and I am wondering how it’s possible as classilla is useless and outdated by over 10 years.
how does YouTube work on OS9? Not even windows 98/ME can play YouTube in any browser anymore

@RogerWilco6502 did an excellent video demonstrating my software, PPCMCW.

Fcr-900

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
I think that's stretching it a bit. Granted the last stable release was October 28, 2014 (9.3.3), but that's six years, not ten.

BTW, Cameron Kaiser still has plans to update it. He's just rather busy. You can email him about it from his site (https://www.floodgap.com/) and he'll respond.
Oh I know I should have been more clear... the browser technology is outdated by at lease 10 years but it had security updates up to 6 years yes. The browser technology is ancient though and copes terribly with any of the modern web.

Reactions: eyoungren

Macbookprodude

Suspended
Jan 1, 2018
I think that's stretching it a bit. Granted the last stable release was October 28, 2014 (9.3.3), but that's six years, not ten.

BTW, Cameron Kaiser still has plans to update it. He's just rather busy. You can email him about it from his site (https://www.floodgap.com/) and he'll respond.

Got word from the creator himself - Its not abandoned and as soon as he finds some time, He will add TLS 1.2/1.3 into classila and according to what i read someone on the net, TLS 1.3 will be it for several years - by the time tls 1.4 comes out, I will probably be 70 years old.
[automerge]1590348366[/automerge]
Oh I know I should have been more clear... the browser technology is outdated by at lease 10 years but it had security updates up to 6 years yes. The browser technology is ancient though and copes terribly with any of the modern web.

While this is true in some things, for most I was able to browse the web for over an hour 1/2 using classila on my G4 Pismo. www.whitehouse.gov did not work, but strangely.. this site worked perfectly, though to continue I needed to enable javascript which I didn't.

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/unemployment.shtml - the landing page worked perfectly under classila using a different user agent. I even tried my bank's website and that too loaded nicely. So your milage will vary. But, for the most part i use classila to read old mac sites, download things and macintosh garden.

Fcr-900

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 27, 2020
Got word from the creator himself - Its not abandoned and as soon as he finds some time, He will add TLS 1.2/1.3 into classila and according to what i read someone on the net, TLS 1.3 will be it for several years - by the time tls 1.4 comes out, I will probably be 70 years old.
[automerge]1590348366[/automerge]

While this is true in some things, for most I was able to browse the web for over an hour 1/2 using classila on my G4 Pismo. www.whitehouse.gov did not work, but strangely.. this site worked perfectly, though to continue I needed to enable javascript which I didn't.

https://www.dllr.state.md.us/employment/unemployment.shtml - the landing page worked perfectly under classila using a different user agent. I even tried my bank's website and that too loaded nicely. So your milage will vary. But, for the most part i use classila to read old mac sites, download things and macintosh garden.
Does old reddit work or mobile reddit? I.reddit.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.