YouTube over Airplay from iphone to airport express

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by tram-man, Jun 26, 2014.

1. tram-man macrumors newbie

OK, not sure if someone can help me here but this is my issue.

Next to my stereo I have an airport express which I have connected the audio line-out to my stereo's line in. I have configured the airport express to join my current network. In this way I can play YouTube content over my stereo(using Airplay) with my iphone (4S and 4) and ipad (3rd gen) without having to place my devices in a dock.

This has been working fine but recently the express stopped working and I had to reconfigure my express which made me consider the security issues involved in configuring my express to join my current WPA2 network. Although I have my Express MAC address configured in my router I understand that this is not secure at all.

I have tried setting up a stand-alone network on my Airport Express soley for Airplay between my Ios devices but this means I have to log into this wifi network on my idevice, meaning I have no access to internet content that I want to stream! (stupid I know but I did try).

I now believe to acheive what I want I have to allow the airport express to be on the same SSID wifi network.Maybe I am too paranoid but I don't mind adding my express to my current network but I want the express only to receive my airplay stream data and not send any data out.

Is there any way that I can configure the express just to do the one-way communication of receiving the airplay stream?

I also wonder if I can hardwire my express to my routher by ethernet and that my (hardwired) express will be recognised on my routers wifi network so that airplay would work?

Any tips and advce greatly appreciated. The airport express is a 2nd gen n version with single ethernet port.

Thanks, Stuart

2. NukeIT macrumors regular

What security issue are you referring too??

I don't believe an Airport Express will broadcast a signal when it is in Client mode (aka - Join network) only when it is in extend will it rebroadcast the signal.