Youtube quality and another iMovie question

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Buttuh B, Apr 14, 2008.

1. Buttuh B macrumors newbie

how come my video qualities will look fresh when just watching them on the computer through quick time but then when you upload it to youtube the quality is poor... but i see other videos on youtube with great quality.....

and another question... so i used a disk to import these videos from my other computer... theyre on my desktop and everything... they are mpeg videos but it wont let me import them into iMovie, they show up grey... if anyone can help me out ill appreciate it. ;)

2. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

youtube take video upload to them and re-encode it themselves with some nasty compression. So if you export to them in a 'good' quality this will get crushed down into rubbish quality.

For best results on youtube you have to give it to them in the absolute best quality you can.

3. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

iMovie cannot import mpeg clips. You'll need to convert them to the DV codec using something like MPEGstreamclip.

4. dengar169 macrumors member

there is a set of numbers and letters you can type at the end of every youtube html to view the movie at it's best quality. normally youtube will show video in compression at the rate of your internet connection. I forget the type you have to enter. i have it at home, but you can find a video about it on cnet.com

5. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

??? Waht do you mean? You can export as mpeg4.

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

He's talking about importing clips, not exporting. You have to use an editing codec in iMovie, either DV or Apple Intermediate.