Youtube quality on 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tamakin, Jul 13, 2008.

1. tamakin macrumors member

I'm hearing that the youtube quality over 3G is still pixelated and not much different from the quality on EDGE. The videos download fast on 3G but when played, the quality is not nearly as good as the quality over Wi-Fi. Youtube videos on wi-fi are crystal clear. Why does it just download faster on 3g but the quality is still bad?

Pretty much defeats the purpose of having 3G. I was looking forward to watching live TV using Orb on the 3G sometime in the future but this is a deal breaker for me now since youtube videos don't even stream in good quality.

2. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Next time use the search.

The reason is most likely that the youtube servers are not updated to notice the difference between the iphone edge and the iphone 3g??? Just be happy that it loads quicker.

3. tamakin thread starter macrumors member

No, nobody should "just be happy" that it loads quicker. That's a load of bull. I'd rather wait an extra minute to see a clear picture buddy.

4. know-it-all5 macrumors 6502

What search?

5. tamakin thread starter macrumors member

Exactly. I did a search.. typed "youtube 3g". Nothing came up.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

why would the ability to load them quicker (3g is faster thats it) make them better quality?

the videos are set in the quality there gonna be in before the iphone is ever involved with them.

7. tamakin thread starter macrumors member

What are you talking about? Then why is it way more clear when you're on wi-fi on the iphone?

8. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

Well then you did not do it correctly because I even created one of these threads.

9. tamakin thread starter macrumors member

Well share it with us instead of acting the way you are.

10. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It's YouTube that determines the quality, not the iPhone. if YouTube sees you're downloading on the iPhone over the cellular network, it will give you the lower quality video. They are not set up (yet) to tell the difference between 3G and EDGE.

In any case, Orb and youtube have nothing to do with each other. The performance of YouTube over the 3G network has nothing to do with Orb.

11. michaelmaxwell2 macrumors regular

I am not acting anyway lol, i am just somewhat pissed off with people complaining about the phone. Anyhoo when you create a thread on the right hand side of the title of thread it says "check if already posted". It's the way I am, most people tell me that I type with no feelings :/