YouTube quality

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Swizz, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Swizz macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

On the iPhone 4 isn't the quality watching videos supposed to be good? Mine is ****. It honestly looks like there is maybe 10 pixels. Help anyone?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Kill the YouTube app.

Go to SETTINGS > GENERAL > RESTRICTIONS and turn YouTube off.

Then go to m.youtube.com in Safari.

Press the icon with the arrow flying out of the square and select "Add to Home Screen." (Wait a second for the icon to load before you save it.) You'll get an icon on your home screen for Mobile YouTube.

Just use that from now on. The old app youtube does high quality on Wifi and low quality on 3G. The mobile site does High or Low quality depending on whether or not you've pressed the "HQ" button under the video. It doesn't care which network you're on.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Thats because you're probably not connected to Wifi and pulling them thru 3G.
    Since the first iphone youtube quality over carrier data has been grainy but good when connected to wifi. Supposedly to save on load times.

4. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Why do people keep suggesting this when it makes embedded videos totally unplayable?

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I was under the impression that disabling embedding keeps them from playing on ALL mobile devices. Is that not the case for the iPhone app?

If that's the case I kind of think the best solution is to leave BOTH icons on your iPhone. Use the mobile site for high quality viewing and then switch to the app when you encounter a video you can't play in the site.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Good call.

7. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

if you're, however, in a wifi network, you CAN use the youtube application, since its HD videos are even higher quality than the m.youtube.com HD ones

8. lsvtecjohn3 macrumors 6502a

I agree I was going to say the same thing.

9. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Jailbreak and use 3G restrictor. Problem solved. High Quality with 3G.

10. Rooftop voter macrumors 6502a

Or my 3G. Both work great. I totally forgot YouTube looked like crap without it untill this post, lol.

11. onepoint macrumors 6502a

onepoint

If you access m.youtube.com and click HQ underneath a video, iOS video player will launch and display the video in high quality over 3G. There's no need to disable the YouTube app per se, simply find what you want via the above-outlined method (i.e., adding to Home Screen).

12. Swizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I can't access m.YouTube though. It says to enable java script

13. Reelknead1 macrumors 6502

Thats really strange, i have no issue accessing it on my iPhone 4

14. JD914, Dec 10, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2010

JD914 macrumors 6502a

JD914

The iPhone youtube app is by far the worst of any mobile device. It's over three years old and counting.

15. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

yeah, but still the only way to get the highest quality versions of youtube videos :/

16. Swizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Well WTF why can't I acces it!?

17. Swizz thread starter macrumors newbie

Nvm got it I'm dumb thanks guys

18. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

19. JASApplications macrumors 65816

Yep, they definitely need to update the YouTube App.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Really? They look exactly the same to me. Have any test links I can try?

The main advantage of the mobile YouTube app is that it loads videos much quicker for some reason. On the native YouTube app it takes forever to load and generally results in me not watching the video.

21. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

i think m.youtube streams its HQ videos with this kind of 'connection aware' compression, that many apps use, while the youtube app gives you the full 720p m4v experience.

22. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

23. Megalobyte macrumors 6502a

Well I too noticed a huge difference between 3G and wifi, so I was excited to try using the m.YouTube app. Trouble is, first, I went into restrictions and disabled the native YT app, then put the m.YouTube app on my homescreen. I couldn't play any videos, until I re-enabled the native app in the restrictions area, at which point I went and tried the mobile app again, videos loaded fine, BUT, same crappy quality on 3G, wifi is fine. Am I missing something? Thanks.

24. Fliesen macrumors 6502a

Fliesen

hmmm, you dont need to deactivate the youtube app to make use of m.youtube.com (that's not an app, btw, it's m.youtube.com in mobilesafari, ... just making sure, since you called it 'app' ... but then again, it's sort of a webapp ... anyways) :)

be sure to click the HQ button (it's red when it's on).

If the quality still looks bad to you, then it might be your 3G connection being so weak that the dynamic video compression has to uglify the video that much