Youtube Resolution

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fried Potato, Feb 6, 2015.

1. Fried Potato macrumors member

Fried Potato

Hi guys, :)

I have a small problem which you might be able to help me with: while browsing YouTube using Firefox, the max resolution available is only 720P. No higher resolution option shows up at all. Although, this problem doesn't occur while using Safari.

Do you guys know how this could be solved?

2. WilliamG macrumors 604

Can you link me a video that only shows max 720p in Firefox but 1080p in Safari?

3. Fried Potato thread starter macrumors member

Fried Potato

It doesn't matter which video it is. All videos supporting 720p+ won't go higher than 720p. But sure, here's a 5K video.

The thing is that I have a problem with the video linked above in Safari too: If I choose 5K as the resolution in Safari, the video player shows an error and won't load the video. Although Safari does show higher resolution options, compared to Firefox which doesn't even show any higher options than 720p.

4. WilliamG macrumors 604

Sounds to me like the issue is YouTube and Firefox. I experience some weirdness on that video in Safari at 5K res.

FYI, YouTube is a joke. 5K my ass..

5. Fried Potato thread starter macrumors member

Fried Potato

Might it be the HTML5 player which restricts me from going higher than 720p? Although that would a little bit wierd; I guess that Safari uses the HTML5 player natively and it does support 720p+

6. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

7. Fried Potato thread starter macrumors member

Fried Potato

Are you sure that you're using HTML5? As I stated:no options higher than 720p is available for me in Firefox. This video even crashes in Safari when choosing 5k.

8. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I am away from my iMac now. I am sure what the settings were at the moment, default for Firefox since I never use it.

9. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

I couldn't get that video to play in 5K as well, had to download it. YouTube is clearly not ready for 5K playback.

As for the limitation you're having in Firefox, it's actually normal. Until recently it maxed at 360p, now 720p, due to Firefox's incomplete HTML5 video support.

In Firefox Nightly the limitation is fixed, all supported resolutions appear to work. The official release should get this soon.

10. driftless macrumors demi-god

driftless

I wonder if part of the issue is your/our ISP. I am on Comcast's fastest service available in the Chicago-area. Well, not quite, there is one faster service but it is $399/mo. :eek:

11. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

Internet speeds have nothing to do with it, it's simply Firefox's incomplete HTML5 video support. I remember having to deal with the frustration of 360p videos in Firefox quite well.