Appleuser201

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 12, 2018
I remember way back we used to use genyoutube.com to download and watch videos on OS9 and early versions of OSX. I personally used it to watch YouTube on my old iOS devices (iPad 1, iPod touch 2g) But now that site doesn’t work anymore on our old browsers and I have yet to find one thats a good option and that works. Does anyone know of a search and download site that actually works on old/outdated browsers?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 601
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I remember way back we used to use genyoutube.com to download and watch videos on OS9 and early versions of OSX. I personally used it to watch YouTube on my old iOS devices (iPad 1, iPod touch 2g) But now that site doesn’t work anymore on our old browsers and I have yet to find one thats a good option and that works. Does anyone know of a search and download site that actually works on old/outdated browsers?

I think it's because Youtube have 'hidden' the 3gp videos from the prying eyes of youtube-dl and other url parsing add-ons.
However, they are still available with a user agent change, although with audio sync issues.

wm2

macrumors member
Oct 13, 2020
Hungary
I use this site under Tiger. I don't know how it works on older systems but here uBlock Origin required.:) AVI files are unusable.

98B80F20-1D01-409E-BA8A-2BC73F2E3376.png

49D056AD-C911-4525-BE5B-74C417789F81.png

alex_free

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2020
I think it's because Youtube have 'hidden' the 3gp videos from the prying eyes of youtube-dl and other url parsing add-ons.
However, they are still available with a user agent change, although with audio sync issues.

Yea it really sucks about the sync issues that seemingly can’t be fixed, wish I could re add that feature to PPCMC.

Dronecatcher

macrumors 601
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Yea it really sucks about the sync issues that seemingly can’t be fixed, wish I could re add that feature to PPCMC.

Don't know how Youtube have managed to prevent playback on anything but a genuine mobile device.
Youtube-dl used to handle it so well - as I showed here:

But the devs at youtube-dl now claim that youtube no longer provides 3gp video - and get pretty obnoxious if you state otherwise!

alex_free

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2020
Don't know how Youtube have managed to prevent playback on anything but a genuine mobile device.
Youtube-dl used to handle it so well - as I showed here:

But the devs at youtube-dl now claim that youtube no longer provides 3gp video - and get pretty obnoxious if you state otherwise!

I’m convinced Susan has a Nokia phone still and that is the sole reason.

nickdalzell1

macrumors 68000
Dec 8, 2019
Damn SSL/HTTPS has killed many options, including my ability to YouTube on my PowerBook G4. I can browse some SSL secured sites, such as my podcast favorite Go Vegan Radio, and BuggiesGoneWild Golf Car Forum, but forget anything like Youtube, not even Metacafe works today. Metacafe I once used when Youtube blacklisted Netscape and IE 5 in 2010. It used to have an URL trick to pull in YouTube streams and at that time was the only non-HTTPS site.

Google really dropped the ball in 2018--until then, the old Youtube 2.x app on Android would pull up stuff even stuff Google purged--you could still find tv shows, movies that were not visible on modern Youtube. The old iPad Youtube app worked too, but then they killed whatever server it used.

The oldest device I can Youtube on is a 2012 Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet. I sadly haven't found a used iPad 2 online that isn't already updated to iOS 9, and iPad 1's are extinct.

My PowerBook has too slow a CPU and too little RAM (literally 128MB) to do much other than Google or forums/podcasts. I can't find any compatible RAM. The last two sticks I bought were supposed to be compatible, and fit the slot, but the laptop just went 'beep beep beep' over and over and produced no screen until I removed the RAM. I don't know what it's compatible with but if only I had enough to run 10.4. It requires 256MB, and although people say it will work with less, the installer disagrees.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.