YouTube slow on Safari?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by chriscrk, May 3, 2012.

1. chriscrk macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

For ages now, whenever I watch a video on YouTube, it usually freezes up or slows down Safari a LOT. It only happens while the video is loading, so usually when it's a long video, Safari will be extremely slow until the video finishes downloading. However, I don't have this problem on Chrome.

Does anyone know what may be causing this? And how I could fix it? Safari is my main web browser, so I'd like to have YouTube functioning properly on it.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

For Flash-related issues:
    • Find your Flash version and make sure it's the latest version available. Never install or update Flash from a pop-up on a website. Always go to Adobe's site to get Flash or updates.
    • Install ClickToFlash (Safari), Flashblock (Firefox) or FlashBlock (Chrome) to control which Flash content plays on websites.
    • Try using the YouTube HTML5 Video Player to watch YouTube videos, when available. (May impact fullscreen viewing. See link for details.) As far as performance impact, YMMV.

3. chriscrk thread starter macrumors 6502a

chriscrk

I have the latest version of flash.
    I was on trial for HTML... I quit the trial, it seems to be helping. I'll give it a fe days though and see if videos in general are working properly again.

Thank you :)

4. switcher3365 macrumors regular

Make sure Safari is running in 32-bit mode. That solved my problem.

On Apple's website, people being signed up for YouTube's HTML5 beta was the culprit. I was never signed up for that.

Find Safar in the Finder, right-click and click "Get Info." Select "Open in 32-bit mode."