Youtube SLOW ON WiFi????

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Sean4123, Jun 25, 2010.

1. Sean4123 macrumors 6502

Sorry for another negative complaint, but when in wifi, all videos load so slow for me. When in 3G they are snappy. This is really the only problem i'm having with this AMAZING phone. Anyone else having this issue?

BTW, for all the people whining about reception issues, take your phones back.

2. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

Change your router's DNS servers to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4, you'll instantly see a difference. Using these settings, video loads very quick on mine.

3. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

I changed them from the original 192.. etc. Do I need to reset anything on the iPhone such as network settings too? I'm not seeing a huge difference. Thanks for your help.

4. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

5. Sean4123 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. jstarr2679 macrumors newbie

I had this same problem with 3GS, is your router using B OR G? WEP,WPA,WPA2?

Im using g-only and wpa2. If i switch to wep its better but not good security practices here ;)

7. Ishimaru macrumors 6502a

My router is 802.11n with WPA2, using Google DNS and my videos load very quick. Helps that I have a 10Mbps Internet connection. Don't know what to say as mine is working 100% perfect.

8. siryak macrumors newbie

I have the same problem! I have a theory on this and it may be completely wrong. While I was connected to WiFi it gave me the message "could not activate cellular data network." Now the issue with this is why is it trying to activate the data network? Shouldn't it be using WiFi? So for the people that are having issues are you in a low signal area by chance? Also if yours is working good are you in a good signal area? I am thinking for some reason youtube is not using the WiFi. I can load Break videos just fine over WiFi.

9. lillfredrik macrumors newbie

also goes for itunes store and app store

3G works perfectly fine, as soon as I go wifi they all turn "cannot connect".

10. SeanZy macrumors 6502a

I have the EXACT same problem.

But it's weird... Loading web pages is completely fine on wifi. But YouTube just won't load ...

11. apple3g040193 macrumors 6502

apple3g040193

im having the same exact problem called apple they said it was on youtube's end.

12. Irish Rose macrumors 65816

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

No problems with YouTube over WiFi on my iPhone. The quality is much better than viewing a video over a 3G connection. Maybe this is a software bug that isn't effecting everyone.

13. Frenchjay macrumors 68000

Frenchjay

Are you using the native app or the mobile YouTube?

The mobile on wifi loads in about 20 seconds for me on a ten minute video. On the apple YouTube app it takes over a minute or so to fully load.

14. SophiaLee macrumors 6502a

SophiaLee

The youtube app just flat ass doesn't work for me on wifi at all. Just keeps locking up. :(

15. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

There are days when youtube runs smoothly and others when it's super slow. Always thought it was just my wifi. I see it's not just me.

16. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Yeah, mine does the same, and I have fios , 20 up and 20 down. It's weird, sometimes it loads in like 2 sec, other times it takes so long and the video is constantly buffering. I though maybe it was the you tube servers.

17. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

1) Youtube's servers are always overloaded.

2) Videos over 3G are compressed, resulting in about 2X less network usage and 2X faster loading and 2X loss of quality. Since Wifi is slightly faster than 3G, but loads much higher quality video, it will of course be slower.

18. lillfredrik macrumors newbie

FYI: I have solved my problem. Realizing every app was working bad over wifi I turned to my router. After changing mode to "b only" it works flawless. Guess I have to upgrade my hardware, people are reporting that N-mode works best in 20 mhz though, not over dual band.

19. asleep macrumors 68040

asleep

YouTube is sucking worse & worse over time.

I'm getting "spinner" delays on all my systems over multiple connections.

We need a solid competitor.

20. Bobby Corwen macrumors 68030

Seriously this has nothing to do with YouTube. (well maybe they could help)

But its about streaming technology and the way the router and the phone communicate via the wifi language.

There has been many threads on the web about this with much troubleshooting and the consensus is that you have to set your router to not do "dual band" and to do "b only" or "n only"

part of this might also be you dont have a new enough powerful enough router. (get airport maybe :))

So the solution to this lies in optimizing your router situation if you can get access to it. This problem is very common in all homes with improperly configured routers.

21. james92se macrumors 6502a

What's really sad is that mobile YouTube is far better than the native app.

You can get full HD video (errr, or "HQ", whatever) on mobile YouTube over 3G and can't on the native app.

Plus, mobile YouTube gives you a layout/experience more similar to the real YouTube.

I've bookmarked mobile YouTube on my home screen in lieu of the native app.