Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
When I watch a YouTube video with Firefox -- whether I'm watching it in Flash or HTML 5 -- it often stutters. This stuttering problem never happens when I watch the exact same YouTube videos in Chrome or Safari. Here are seven facts about my situation:

1) I am currently using Firefox 5, but this problem has existed for me in Firefox 4 and Firefox 3.6 to the same extent.

2) I always use the latest version of Flash as soon as it's released, and prior to installing the latest version of Flash, always I use the Flash uninstaller to uninstall the previous version.

3) I have a faster than average cable modem Internet connection. A few minutes ago, Speedtest.net said my download speed is 32 Mbps and my upload speed is 6 Mbps.

4) I am using a dual-core Penryn MacBook 2.13 with 4 GB of Crucial-brand RAM, 500 GB Western Digital hard drive with half of it being empty.

5) The YouTube stuttering problem happens even if Firefox is the one and only application open.

6) I recently did a clean install with an OS 10.6.3 DVD, and used the Combo Update to bring it to 10.6.7. I only use Combo Updates for OS X updates, and use Software Update to install all other available updates.

7) I run Disk Utility's "Repair Disk Permissions" at least once a week.

Please help. Are any of you reading this having or not having this problem? If you have experienced this problem, is possible to fix it?

Thanks for any feedback.

Last edited:

Mr. Happy

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2011
I have always experienced this same problem. My solution was to adopt Chrome as my main browser.

Not sure of the cause though, sorry.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Do all Firefox 4 and Firefox 5 users experience this YouTube stuttering issue on their Macs? If not, then in regards to those users who never experience the issue, what exactly is different about those users' Macs that allows them to never experience it?

Last edited:

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
I have no issues at all. My YouTube account is setup for HTML5. I also have the most recent version of Flash installed.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
Do all Firefox 4 and Firefox 5 users experience this YouTube stuttering issue on their Macs? If not, then in regards to those users who never experience the issue, what exactly is different about those users' Macs that allows them to never experience it?

i have a little video tearing every few minutes with firefox 5, it was much worse in firefox 4 but not stuttering

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
I'm now using Firefox 7.0.1 and I still have the same YouTube stuttering problem as described in the OP.

I've heard someone theorize that Firefox does some kind of automatic saving in the background every couple of seconds, so maybe that's why the stuttering problem exists. Do you think that's true, and if so, how do I fix that problem?

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 16, 2008
Well, now I'm using Firefox 8.0, and there is still the stuttering problem when viewing YouTube videos.

Is there anyone here who has had and later fixed this problem? If so, how did you do it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.