Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jhwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
I attempted to open YouTube today and received this error message:

You must first connect to iTunes with an Internet connection to enable YouTube.

I've had my jailbroken iPhone 3G for several months now and have never had an issue with it until now. I'm aware that this question has been brought up before but unfortunately I haven't been able to find a solution from past threads.. I happened to upgrade my iTunes software last night and I'm starting to think that this issue may be related to my recent upgrade in iTunes.

My initial reaction was to do a hard reset and when that failed I re synced my iPhone 3G making sure that I was logged in my iTunes account.

Anyone willing to assist me with this frustrating problem?

teaguecole

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
I guess to start with the basics, does it work when you are connected to wi-fi? Also do you pay for the iPhone data plan? If it doesn't work when you are connected to wi-fi then there is definitely a problem. Whether or not a full blown reset will fix it, I dont know. Now if you have the iPhone data plan and you have service and you still can't use YouTube, maybe your APN changed. You say you have your iPhone jailbreaked. I know boss prefs allows you to disable EDGE/3G, maybe if you installed boss prefs you might of disabled EDGE/3G not allowing you to get on the internet. Also if your YouTube says you are not connected to the internet, can you use safari? If you can use safari then something is wrong and it needs a reset or to be replaced. Hope this helps somewhat.

jhwang

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 22, 2009
I only use Wi-Fi and do not have any kind of data plan (I'm on T-Mobile USA) and every thing else on my iPhone is working fine (Safari, iTunes, App Store, Weather, etc.), just as it always has.

This issue just seems to have creeped up on me over night..

If it serves as any useful info: my iPhone 3G is running on 2.2.1 firmware with 02.28.00 baseband.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.