YouTube super slow

Discussion in 'iPad' started by SebZen, Apr 5, 2010.

  1. SebZen macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #1
    Sigh, i had this same problem with my ipod touch as well and googling showed a ton more people have this problem too, but no one ever found a solution.

    Basically most youtube videos are not watcjable. It would take maybe 10 min to buffer a 1 minute video. On my MBP it pkays perfect over the same wireless network.

    Some videos like evolution of dance play just fine but for the most part other videos dont.

    Im on a 7mb DSL line with airport express. I tried this on both g and n settings and neither solved the problem.

    Running speedtest app shows 5mb down on ipad so it isnt the speed. Im clueless. Does anyone have a solution??

    Oh, i also have netflix app and it plays videos perfect. Its spmething with youtube itself. Neither youtube app nor the website work well
     
  2. baypharm macrumors 65816

    baypharm

    Joined:
    Nov 15, 2007
    #2
    I think it has to with latency. There are so many people accessing YOU TUBE there is a bottle neck. It was predicted years ago when they first opened up. The net can handle only so much traffic folks.
     
  3. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #3
    No thats not it. It happens any time of day and was happening with my ipod touch ever since i got it 3 months ago. And it only does it on certain (80% of videos i try) the other 20% work fine
     
  4. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

    JonnyIreland

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2010
    Location:
    Toronto, Canada
    #4
    Same here. My 3GS has no issues with YouTube when used over the 3G network (of course, there is a lower resolution but at least the damn videos load!), however at home with WiFi connnection videos are slow to load and inevitably stall halfway through.. when they eventually resume, it is minus sound so I just exit out and curse a lot. :mad:
     
  5. NinjaKid macrumors member

    Joined:
    Feb 20, 2008
    #5
    Slow Video

    I have an idea of the problem but might be way off, anyway as well all know the iphone/itouch/ipad don't use flash which youtube videos are made with to show with. We have to use the youtube app to watch youtube videos so my guess is that the app is connecting to a server which converts the flash based video into something the devices can view and perhaps it is this part of the data transaction causing the laggy video feed. The other devices in the house such as laptops and desktops don't see this problem because they view the video in the native flash.
     
  6. Ducky280 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Sep 25, 2007
    Location:
    Near Lisburn
    #6
    I have this issue with my 3gs

    using the site not the app seems to help

    try viewing a slow video via safari and see if it helps any!!!
     
  7. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009
    #7
    Nope when i researched with problem, on the same threads there were people that said it works just fine for them. So it isnt a universal problem. Its something very specific in the network that iphone os youtube doesnt like.

    For those with this problem, what modem do you have? I have AT&T SpeedStream 5100b
     
  8. SebZen thread starter macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2009

Share This Page