YouTube support 4K/HDR yet?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Menel, Sep 4, 2018.

1. Menel macrumors 603

Menel

Noticed my YouTube app updated the UI yet again.

Did it gain features from the iPhone for supporting HDR?

2. -Gonzo- macrumors 6502

-Gonzo-

TV doesn’t support the VP9 codec so you definitely won’t be seeing 4K in YouTube anytime soon.

3. cynics macrumors G4

Nope and either Google will need to start using HEVC or Apple will need to start supporting VP9. So Like @-Gonzo- said, its not likely anytime soon.

I wouldn't expect to see 4k youtube on this version of the AppleTV at all. While it can decode VP9 via software it can struggle decoding high resolutions with higher than 8 bit color depths which is currently on Youtube (4k HDR).

4. Macalicious2011 macrumors 6502a

4K without HDR would be a triumph.

5. 827538 macrumors 65816

I don’t think this will be resolved until everyone switches over to the AV1 codec.

6. BODYBUILDERPAUL macrumors 65816

Absolutely, VP9 is on its way out and it'll be forgotten very very quickly. AV1 is coming to YouTube next year.
    With HEVC a part of iTunes 4K, we may only see Apple taking up AV1 when iTunes 8K releases in a few years time. By them we'll all have 1000+meg broadband so who knows what we'll have available. Exciting times I am sure :) :) :)

7. Sakurambo-kun macrumors 6502

Sakurambo-kun

Until Apple get off their high horse and support VP9, then I can't see 4K YT will ever be a thing on the ATV.

As for HDR, didn't Google recently update the iOS YT app to HDR (albeit in 1080p)? Not sure how that would work, as presumably their H.264 1080p content is all in SDR.

Apple need to pull their finger out when it comes to codec support. They also don't support HLG, which is the HDR format of choice for many broadcasters around the world.

8. Solver macrumors 6502a

Or Google needs to add optimized VP9 program code to their app.

9. 827538 macrumors 65816

Apple are part of the AV1 consortium so I imagine they will start including support (hardware encode/decode) maybe as early as next year. I believe they will fully support it as the standard of the future. I believe AV1 codec development has been frozen so it's just a case of optimizing the encoders and decoders which are currently extremely inefficient (but its always like that at the start).

They will not support VP9 ever. AV1 will fairly quickly replace basically all codecs, virtually every single company that matters is part of the consortium and it's in the interest of pretty much everyone involved to adopt it. I can perhaps see HLG support, but not VP9. Even Google is focusing all its efforts on AV1.

H.264/VP9/HEVC will all be replaced by AV1. It's free, open source, supported by basically everyone and is looking to be the most efficient video codec in existence.

10. cynics macrumors G4

I would say it’s not impossible one day but unlikely due to the difficulty decoding some of their 10 bit vp9 encoded videos via software. Plus the battery hit would be enormous even on a newer device that might be capable of it.

11. billhinge macrumors member

Although I have appletv I use the youtube app on my panny fz952b oled and panny ub9000 4k player, the picture from this shot in 12k video is amazing (yes I realise its not 12k on my tv)

never bothered with the appletv youtube app as other options are available - is it really an issue when you can stream direct to your tv ? I mean if you are asking about 4k streaming support you already have a 4k or better tv

12. Solver macrumors 6502a

Battery hit? We are talking about the Apple TV here.

13. cynics macrumors G4

Sorry about that. I was in another thread talking about HDR on the iPhones with YouTube and got my threads mixed up. Carry on!