Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube is testing the ability for users to zoom into videos on iOS as part of its suite of features offered to premium subscribers.

youtube-test-video-zoom-in.jpg

The "Pinch to zoom" feature is available as an experimenatal feature to YouTube Premium subscribers, and as it sounds, lets viewers zoom up to 8x into a video as they're watching it. The feature will be available until September 1 and may become a permanent fixture of the YouTube Premium package somewhere down the line.

YouTube has been rolling out picture-in-picture to all users in the U.S. and premium subscribers globally over the last several weeks.

Article Link: YouTube Testing Ability for Users to Zoom Into Videos

Last edited:

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
"may become a permanent fixture of the YouTube Premium package somewhere down the line."

Yeah are you guessing or what ? Where does that information even come from I wonder

The word "may" pretty clearly indicates they aren't making a definite statement. And why on earth would YouTube experiment with a feature they had zero intention of possibly making permanent?

usagora

macrumors 601
Nov 17, 2017
Doing that now using safari:rolleyes:

YouTube testing a special new feature for zooming…

… or you could just turn on Zoom in iOS’s Accessibility section in the Settings as, and then double-tap on the screen with three fingers, to zoom in - in any app. 😱

Ok, well we're not talking about Safari or iOS Accessibility settings. We're talking about a native feature to the YouTube app. This reminds me of when people will complain about a new macOS feature with "Windows could do this years ago" as if that's relevant. You might as well also say, "Doing this now with a magnifying glass" 🤣

EDIT: For those disagreeing with emojis - would be sort of nice if you explain how anything I said here is incorrect. Thanks.

Last edited:

atiffarooq

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2006
I’ve heard that zooming in to a video will become available to all but then being able to zoom back out will only be available to premium subscribers 😂

• Haha
Reactions: MacHeritage

Ninjasrule

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
I’m still waiting for picture in picture in the app
I finally got PiP after weeks of waiting. I am a premium member. Found that Pip worked only if I logged out of my account. Then yesterday, PiP works now on my premium account. Hopefully you get your PiP access. it's really annoying they didn't just roll it out to everyone.

Reactions: KurtWilde

Love-hate 🍏 relationship

macrumors 68030
Sep 19, 2021
The word "may" pretty clearly indicates they aren't making a definite statement. And why on earth would YouTube experiment with a feature they had zero intention of possibly making permanent?
Yeah cool ,then let's add may to everything we want to say ,may will forgive it .

I'm talking about the fact that it'll remain a premium feature .ofc they wish to roll it to the public and make it permanent ,that i don't deny

BootsWalking

macrumors 68020
Feb 1, 2014
Doing that now using safari:rolleyes:
Is there a way to make the zoom sticky though? When I pinch-to-zoom on iOS Safari during YouTube playback the video only stays zoomed while my two fingers are on the screen, which blocks some of the video content I'm trying to watch. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Reactions: JosephAW

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Ok, well we're not talking about Safari or iOS Accessibility settings. We're talking about a native feature to the YouTube app. This reminds me of when people will complain about a new macOS feature with "Windows could do this years ago" as if that's relevant. You might as well also say, "Doing this now with a magnifying glass" 🤣
Well, to be fair, no where in the post does it mention this is specifically about the YouTube app. All it says is

"YouTube is testing the ability for users to zoom into videos on iOS as part of its suite of features offered to premium subscribers."

So using the YouTube app offers a degraded and limited user experience vs Safari? 🤣 Another reason why web browser > apps

HQuest

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I tried this feature and it is interesting to figure some details while watching on a small phone screen.

But then I lost Picture in Picture feature I had from past preview days, and this was much more useful than the zoom option.

A month later and all I can think of is I was moved to the back of their queue. *sigh*

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Zooming… a premium feature… YouTube is insane.

ZOOM a premium feature from Google/YouTube, something browsers could do since 1995.

I just checked Netflix, HBO Max, Hulu, and Amazon Prime and none of them offer this feature. Not sure why everyone here thinks this is old news when no one else is doing it.

(I can zoom in Apollo, my 3rd party Reddit app, but it seems to be a rare feature for video streaming as far as I can tell.)

So using the YouTube app offers a degraded and limited user experience vs Safari? 🤣 Another reason why web browser > apps

Not really. I just tested it and it's impossible to actually do.

If you play the video in full screen it lets you zoom until you let go and it rubber-bands back. So technically zoom, I guess? But not in any practical sense if you can't actually let it play while you let go of the screen.

It will zoom while you're not in full screen mode, but it becomes impossible to slide around the screen and you get stuck looking at wherever you landed. And you can only access the specific 'play' or 'skip' control that happens to be in front of you at any given moment and you might even have to force-quit safari if you didn't leave any edges of the screen visible to grab.

It is also unusable.

So, no, Safari does not offer this feature either.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.