Resolved YouTube Trouble

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by FigmentNewtonII, Nov 10, 2013.

1. FigmentNewtonII, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2013

FigmentNewtonII macrumors member

For so long I've been looking high and low to find a way to be able to watch YouTube videos smoothly on my iMac G4. I'm an avid YouTube user and I spend most of my time on there during my down time (This is on my 2012 MPB). So far, I haven't be able to get videos to play very well, without having to download them.

I've been trying out both YouView and MacTubes. Which pretty much everyone in the PPC community agrees seems to be the best way to watch videos. My issue is that its never works for me. I never get a smooth video, now matter how hard I try. It normally gives me one frame a second with maybe a half a second every now and then of smooth animation. Though, the audio is running just fine. Keep in mind, this is the only program open on my computer. That way I have as much RAM and CPU power open to watching a video. I've heard how people are able to watch 480p video on 800MHz machine. Yet here I am with a 1GHz G4 and on a good day able to play 240p.

My Specs:
    iMac G4 from 2003 running OSX 10.5.8
    1GHz G4
    1.25GB RAM
    32MB VRAM
    Wired Ethernet

As far as I know the internet connection is fine. I living in a dorm currently. When I hook up my MBP I can often get somewhere between 80-120 down. On a bad day, 30 down. Granted the MPB has Gigabit Ethernet. Though I would then assume my iMac is being pushed to its limit with how much its Ethernet can take in and how much the CPU can go through it all.

Is my computer just too under speced to play youtube videos at a decent resolution (decent being 360p) and the 800Mhz 480p stories are a lie? Do I need to reset/clean/install/reinstall something on my computer? I'm really confused at this point and it's starting to frustrate me a bit. Please help. :confused:

2. MrPilot, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

MrPilot macrumors 6502

Hi

I'm not sure if you have searched the posts around here that well

I don't know why you would think that youview or mactube would make a big difference The BEST YouTube experience is by using XBMC v11
    Search my posts and I'm sure you'll find my advice somewhere here

3. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

Give ClickToFlash a go. It turns all YouTube videos into little buttons - click the buttons & it opens up Quicktime Player. 480p should be a doddle.

4. FigmentNewtonII thread starter macrumors member

Is there a version for TenFourFox?

5. undesign macrumors regular

Incorrect.

It turns *ALL* flash content into disabled grey boxes until you click on them to display the flash file. By default, everything on every website is disabled, but you can add white lists.

Theres no reason why anyone should have lag in flash of any kind on a laptop thats under 5 years old. On a 1 year old high end laptop, I'd seriously have to question the user.

If you want to reduce flash content, I'd recommend installing AdBlock Plus. This will greatly improve everyones web browsing experience: no ads are displayed, faster load times, less potential crashes due to flash, less flash usage over all and best of all, no more pre-roll videos.

6. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

As the OP asked about YouTube videos - I gave YouTube as the example. A mixture of both AdBlock & ClickToFlash yields the best results in my opinion.

And to the OP - AFAIK there isn't a Quicktime pop-up'er for Firefox/TFF. The cloest I've found on that platform is SmartVideo. It still plays videos through Flash Player - but does give a lot of customisation options ie. switch to 240p or only play after buffering the entire video which makes it ever so slightly more bearable.

Just on the off-chance - are you sure you chose the 'Quicktime Player' option in MacTubes. My 1GHz eMac plays video through MacTubes w/o a hitch.

7. MrPilot, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013

MrPilot macrumors 6502

PLEASE READ IF YOU WANT THE BEST FLASH VIDEO PLAYBACK PERFORMANCE. (make sticky?)

Best result is by going XBMC v11 and youtube plugin (HD flash on this powerbook G4)

Second best is by using aurora 17espre (or TFF with addon and flash enabled) and download the addon "download helper" that will look for flashvideo on ANY site (project free tv, tubeplus, youtube etc) and give you a URL that you can paste in VLC 2.0.8. (also HD flash capable)

Download helper in action:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N765SZlnMR4

Third best is by using webkit and clicktoflash.(NOT HD flash capable)

Then mactubes, youview (NOT HD flash capable)

Then lastly, stock flashplayer using webkit or mozilla browsers (almost same as mactubes)

playback capability is by using the powerbook G4 1.67ghz. running a DP G5 might enable HD flash using ANY method

8. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Cameron Kaiser has an extension for T4FX that does this (plays Flash video in QT). But it's got to be a certain kind. Not sure about the specifics as I never really used it. Should be in the downloads over at his site somewhere though.

9. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'll definitely have to check that out - thanks!

10. gooser macrumors 6502

the smoothest i can get is when running on the omniweb browser. try it.

11. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Here you go! Quicktime Enabler.

12. MysticCow macrumors 6502a

MysticCow

On TenFourFox, use the QuickTime Enabler. The more recent versions of TFF have completely 10,000% removed plugins. Yes, it's ticked people off, but plugins on PowerPC are woefully outdated.

For Leopard Webkit, use two extensions--ClickToPlugin and ClickToFlash. Yes, it's weird using two of the same thing, but for some reason it just works nicely.

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

MacTubes is Key

Make sure you download the latest MacTubes application that will work. I think PowerPC is still supported in the latest. Then go to the "MacTubes" menu in the menu bar, "Preferences" and set it to "QuickTime". This will make all videos load using Quicktime and not the Flash plugin.

:apple: Altemose :apple:

14. FigmentNewtonII thread starter macrumors member

Holy crap. That fixed it. I feel stupid.

15. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Glad it helped you out. I have edited 480p on a Dual 800 G4, so 480p on a 1 Ghz G4 should be no problem. However, Adobe Flash is complete garbage on the PowerPC platform. For some reason they still support Windows XP, released in 2001, yet they don't support PowerPCs, with the last shipping in 2006.

:apple: Altemose :apple:

16. MrPilot macrumors 6502

Flash is a great format for video, too bad the browsers suck at it though. I do HD flash playback on the powerbook g4.

17. FigmentNewtonII thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I was so confused. I saw how people could get 480p on 800MHz. When my 1GHz was crippled by 360p and sometime 240p, I was just baffled. I still feel stupid with how easy the fix was. I hate it when that sort of thing happens.