Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube's streaming television service, YouTube TV, today expanded to an additional 14 markets, making it available to approximately 50 percent of the homes in the United States.

Areas gaining access to YouTube TV today include Baltimore, Boston, Cincinnati, Columbus, OH, Jacksonville-Brunswick, Las Vegas, Louisville, Memphis, Nashville, Pittsburgh, San Antonio, Seattle-Tacoma, Tampa-St. Petersburg-Sarasota, and West Palm Beach-Ft. Pierce.

youtubetv-800x356.jpg

According to YouTube, the YouTube TV service offers the most markets with access to four live local broadcast feeds from ABC, CBS, FOX, and NBC. Along with these live local feeds, YouTube TV features more than 50 networks like ESPN, AMC, USA, and FX, plus it includes cloud DVR support and multi-person access.

Along with expanding to additional markets, YouTube TV is also gaining support for Newsy and the Tennis Channel, new channels that are available to all subscribers at no additional cost.

YouTube TV first launched in April, but it was initially limited to the San Francisco Bay Area, Los Angeles, New York, Philadelphia, and Chicago. It expanded to additional cities in July, and will expand again "in the coming weeks" to 17 markets like San Diego, Salt Lake City, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, and Denver.

YouTube TV is priced at $35 per month.

Article Link: YouTube TV Streaming Service Expands to an Additional 14 Markets, Now Available in 50% of U.S. Households

BeSweeet

macrumors 68000
Apr 2, 2009
San Antonio, TX
Tried it for a bit earlier today. Cancelled after five minutes:
1) Video resolution maxes out at 480p if using multiple monitors due to HDCP garbage.
2) Nothing is available at 60FPS.
3) Video compression is regular low-bitrate stuff, exactly like you'd experience on regular YouTube.
4) Web UI tries to do too much and doesn't make good use of screen space.

uwdude

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2014
I was going to say, this is priced the same as the DirectTV app, so this may be a little overpriced, depending on the features.

ThatGuyInLa

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2012
SC
PS VUE still seems to be the one true God for this. The most channels and platforms. Video quality is "okay." Sound is 2.1 only. Still, you get, AMC, FX, Cartoon Network, TBS, HBO, Showtime, and a ton of others. As well as the local networks in your area. I've had it nearly two years now. Love it.

Reactions: bommai

joueboy

macrumors 68000
Jul 3, 2008
What about commercials?
Is commercial free like Cable use to be?
I'm assuming you still see commercials on some regular tv program. Which makes me think cable is an overpriced, considering all the commercials we watch in every shows.

Reactions: tonyr6

TallGuyGT

macrumors 6502
Aug 8, 2011
NYC
They did this on purpose. If you look at video content viewing habits of the next generation. You will notice most is consumed on mobile devices.

I get that a lot of people watch TV on mobile devices. But a lot of people also watch TV on a big flat screen, especially when watching with more than one person. Given Google's resources, they should easily be able to make the app compatible with AppleTV. Everyone else (Vue, Sling, DirectTV, HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc) has.

The YouTube app on my TV even makes a point in the description about being able to watch videos on the biggest screen in your house!
[doublepost=1503055884][/doublepost]
PS VUE still seems to be the one true God for this. The most channels and platforms. Video quality is "okay." Sound is 2.1 only. Still, you get, AMC, FX, Cartoon Network, TBS, HBO, Showtime, and a ton of others. As well as the local networks in your area. I've had it nearly two years now. Love it.
I agree, Vue seems to have the best interface and features. My only negative is that they no longer have Viacom channels (I really like Comedy Central / The Daily Show). I'm trying out DirectTV NOW to see if it's a good replacement.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
Interesting that this article and what is posted on Google makes no mention of Sinclair:

BALTIMORE, Aug. 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Sinclair Broadcast Group, Inc. (SBGI) today announced an agreement for all of its ABC, CBS, FOX and NBC affiliates to be carried in their respective markets as YouTube TV launches in those markets. As part of this agreement, YouTube TV will also deliver Tennis Channel to all of its members. The Companies also expect YouTube TV to expand its offering to include Sinclair's CW and MyNetworkTV stations, as well as the 24-hour science fiction channel, Comet TV.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/sinclair-announces-agreement-youtube-tv-174200328.html

DeezMacs

macrumors newbie
Aug 18, 2017
I canceled after the trial. While convenient to have streaming television via an app , there were too many restrictions for the price and not enough channels. We pay approx $110 a month for FIOS internet + almost every channel you can think of. Paying $35 for a handful of channels that, in our market at least , didn't include ABC or the ability to watch NFL , was a bit too much. There were also strange occurrences where channels are available , but specific shows weren't available via streaming. I suggest they roll this into the YouTube Red / Google Music package for a total of $20 monthly. I'd pay that for the times I'm outside of the house and desire to watch live tv.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
I'm on the trial now - Not bad.
I think the EPG they have and how it shows you little previews of what's on right now is pretty awesome.

That said, I want an Apple TV app in addition to the current offerings. Anything I'm paying for that's TV style content I, and others in the house, need to be able to just fire up on the ATV with the remote and no other hassle.

Reactions: seecoolguy

seecoolguy

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
i tried it when it first launched, and have recently cancelled. I loved the cloud feature, and will consider signing back up again if they ever include a few more networks like discovery (and network of channels), remote viewing is just as fast as youtube and a better experience than DirecTV, DirecTV Now, and even Dish Anywhere, which works well, but it's just too slow to connect to my dvr.

Hedwigg

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
San Francisco Bay Area
You can use ChromeCast or AirPlay.

Oh cool! When did they make it so I can use my Apple TV remote to control AirPlayed apps?
[doublepost=1503076337][/doublepost]
They did this on purpose. If you look at video content viewing habits of the next generation. You will notice most is consumed on mobile devices.

Meh. I’m a gen-exer. I don’t wanna watch episodes of SNL on my phone while out with friends... I wanna watch it on the comfort of my sofa, on my huge UHD tv. For someone to have “TV” in their app's name but not support devices like the AppleTV is pretty moronic, IMHO.

Reactions: tonyr6

bommai

macrumors 6502a
May 23, 2003
Melbourne, FL

I got a free trial of PS Vue today on my Apple TV. Looks good. I noticed it is stereo as well. That sucks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.