'YouTube TV' Streaming Service Launches in Five U.S. Cities

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 5, 2017.

1. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Yes. Horrible experience. Tie up a device just to stream video while possibly draining the battery? No thanks. AirPlay tends to not be rock solid either. When I stream Prime Video off my iPhone or iPad, it drops the stream frequently enough to be annoying.

2. budselectjr macrumors 6502a

Should have not included ESPN and knocked off $7.

3. jdillings macrumors 68000

They have no choice. Disney isn't going to give them ABC or the Disney Channel unless they also take ESPN.

4. Cigsm macrumors 6502a

That would make sense if google and Apple didn't charge just about the same prices for cloud storage

5. Cigsm macrumors 6502a

You really DONT want a la carte. HBO is $10 alone. Pick 5 channels and you're at $50.

6. Cigsm macrumors 6502a

It's time to take your mess again, Mr Trump

7. Mtmspa macrumors 6502a

And HBO is free.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 5, 2017 ---
    Nope, your attempt at humor though...fail.

8. ILuvEggplant Suspended

ILuvEggplant

Reality isn't always humorous.

9. avanpelt macrumors 68030

No, they really don't when you factor in that photos and videos don't count against your storage space when you upload them to Google Photos (so long as you're ok with having your photos' max resolution being 16 MP and your videos' max resolution being 1080p).

Photo and video backup is the only reason I had to pay for the 200 GB tier of iCloud storage. I recently backed up my entire photo and video library to Google Photos and I am seriously considering ditching iCloud Photos and downgrading my iCloud storage.

10. Jett0516 macrumors 6502a

Jett0516

uh definitely a lot of ppl.

you know you can cast 4k youtube to your 4k HDTV right? Something apple tv can't do...

11. avanpelt macrumors 68030

Well, for the next 11 months, yes. That was certainly a nice surprise. I will gladly pay $5.00 per month for HBO once the deal runs out (as I did before AT&T decided to give us early adopters 12 months of HBO for free). At $5.00/month for access to HBO's live and on demand content, it's a steal.

AT&T is not being very competitive in the wireless space right now, but they are killing it with their fiber service and DIRECTV Now. I'm fortunate to be able to utilize both of those services. I pay $70/month for gigabit fiber with no data cap and $35/month for 100 live TV channels. There's no contract BS, either. No cable ISPs in my area come anywhere close to offering a deal like that.

12. allenvanhellen macrumors regular

Yeah but this will kill your battery.

13. littlecrossrace macrumors newbie

littlecrossrace

Sneaky Pete is another good one.

14. marty11 macrumors 6502

Sling looks like a MUCH better deal. And you get MLB and NBA in most many markets.

15. everdown macrumors newbie

I'm in LA. I saw this article and downloaded it. The 30-day trial has a nice. But one big problem, although the app offers the option to cast, tvs with chromecast are not supported, only tvs with the chromecast dongle. Cancelling tonight. What's the point of all this great tech and tvs paying licensing fees to get chromecasts built in if I can't use it?

16. tennisproha macrumors 65816

DIRECTV Now is useless. Every single show I watch is not available on-demand. The authentication apps are slim. Streaming is glitchy not to mention subpar quality compared to satellite.

17. Teddy Napoleon macrumors newbie

Just buy boxed sets of the best TV shows and classic films and maybe they might, one day, get the message that quality TV is long dead even here in the UK.

18. cardfan macrumors 68000

Oh look, another crap streaming service of crap channels with commercials. Yay. Hopefully Apple isn't aiming for this. I'm sure some of the unwashed are lined up for this, sling, or directvnow.

19. Abazigal macrumors G4

Abazigal

In reality, you will probably just end up being subscribed to them all, because of some content that only that service offers.

20. stanman64 macrumors 6502a

stanman64

Yeah basically exactly what you said - what I would love is TV in Netflix form. Every show you could ever want to watch available on a platform, and then you pick what you want access to and pay for that. No commercials, no paying for crap you don't watch.

The current problem with iTunes is that there isn't an option for subscription. If I wanted to watch S7 of The Walking Dead, for example, I would have to pay over $40 just to watch that season. That's 4 months' worth of Netflix where I can watch entire series of multiple shows. But, I suppose that's the price you pay for wanting it right away and not waiting for it to come to Netflix...

21. Nebulance macrumors 6502

Nebulance

I'm the same way; though I think I'd be more inclined to watch Prime Video if it had an Apple TV app.

22. mambodancer macrumors 6502

mambodancer

I don't think it's even necessary. If Apple wants to compete with Netflix, Hulu and Youtube, it's by offering original content. Apple could circumvent local/regional issues by having its own reporters in those areas and/or developing an app that could be customized by the user to consolidate the type of content you were interested in (local news, sports, events, etc). I've always hoped Apple would build a production studio to help fund independent film makers, musicians, artists to kickstart new content or make it possible for those creatives with good ideas to bring them to market or to offer the facilities so that good shows that don't make it past the pilot stage or that are cut after 1 season, may have a place to live where network Time Slots aren't a consideration. Imagine if this happened to a show like Firefly...

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G4

QCassidy352

Too expensive to make sense to me. I have to pay Comcast for internet service regardless. And once I have them for internet, adding cable is the same $35 as this, or less.

I get that the cable companies suck, but as long as we need them for broadband internet, bundling cable is usually a fine deal.

24. co.ag.2005 macrumors 68020

co.ag.2005

Which Apple TV are you using? Apple seemed to have fixed a lot of Airplay issues with their new Apple TV. I watched the whole season of Grand Touring from Amazon Prime (from my iPhone) to my Apple TV and never had an issue. I could even use my apple remote to rewind/fast forward and use my phone to do other things during the show. It has improved greatly in my experience.

The same thing goes with Chromecast. Start the stream with your phone and then you don't have to touch the stream any more. Go about doing things on your phone that you would normally do.

Now, I do prefer a standalone Apple TV app because I don't want to have to start content on my phone first, but at least now with the new Apple TV and Chromecast, it is a "set it and forget it" type of system.

25. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502a

M.PaulCezanne

None of these services is perfect, but the more the merrier. It's progress and the competition will hopefully bring more choices and lower prices.

Now if we could just do something about our oligopic broadband ISP regime...