Youtube unable to connect with wifi?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by karterius, Jul 5, 2007.

1. karterius macrumors member

When I use the edge network I can lookup and view youtube videos, however when I use my wifi I can search for videos but when I play them they do not load and I get an error that says "Error playing Movie." My wifi does work with the safari and mail apps, as well as google maps.

Anyone else get this?

2. The General macrumors 601

3. bmonster macrumors member

i have the same problem as well.
    my phone is activated legitmately.:)
    the "iphone expert" at my local at&t store had no idea what i was talking about, she just repeated that it DOES infact have youtube. :confused:
    lol.

4. dennarda macrumors newbie

Same problem

Same problem, no hacks or other nefarious stuff going on here, just a legitmate issue. The first several times I tried you tube, I had wi-fi on and it simply said "cannot connect to youtube" I turned wi-fi off and was able to connect through edge without a hitch other than the fact it was slow. Once edge had populated the lists, I was able to turn wi-fi back on and play any of the items from the list using wi-fi. I know it was using wi-fi because the video quality and speed improved significantly. I have only tried this on one wireless router (a netgear router with no security enabled).

5. macbook123 macrumors 68000

6. Goldenbear macrumors regular

Strange one. I've been on several wi-fi networks and haven't run into this problem. I'd contact Apple about this instead of AT&T.

7. webdevsam macrumors newbie

I have never been able to connect to youtube with the iphone with either wifi or edge. It just says "Cannot connect to YouTube." I have been activated since July 1. I wonder if it is a missing code on at&t side.

8. dennarda macrumors newbie

Update
    Since I do not seem to be the only one, I tried today in a different network environment and things worked fine. The network I used today is a university network with lots of security and restrictions, so I am quite suprised it worked here and not on my homes "anything goes" network. I did not attempt my home network today. Perhaps the issue has simply gone away!

9. DJ Hurricane macrumors newbie

DJ Hurricane

I have the problem too, at home I can connect fine to my Linxus Router, but cant stream a youtube vid unless im on Edge! WTF?

Ill try tomorow at the lab>>>>

10. Shermanus macrumors newbie

Same Here

Will call AT&T tomorrow, but have little hope there. Unless I can tell them that I dispute the activation charge if they don't fix the problem.
    Apple had a lot of time from the announcement to delivery to sell a (expensive) flawless product.
    Some much cheaper PDA's have flash anyway !
    UPDATE: AT&T had no clue. However, I did the 3rd Hard Reset and Bingo: It works now.

11. linshiwen macrumors member

More than a month later

More than a month since the last post on this thread, I finally got an iPhone myself, and I have the same problem. No one really posted a definitive fix. Can anyone tell me why I cant access youtube over my wifi? I have a linksys...

Thanks

12. carfo macrumors newbie

I had this problem, I fixed it by going to my router settings page and changing the channel from "Auto" to a higher number, like 8 to 11 or so. Hope it works for you.