Universal YouTube update frequency

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by Infrared, May 31, 2018.

1. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

More or less every few days there seems to be a YouTube app update. I can understand that apps need updating, but 100 times (or whatever) a year? That’s like 10 GB of updates annually for *a single app*.

What’s going on here? :)

2. Steve121178 macrumors 601

Steve121178

Doesn't bother me. I'd rather them update & fix stuff than not. Same goes for any other app.

One of the more recent YouTube updates finally gave us the option of a 'dark' mode. It's so much better with dark mode enabled.

3. Infrared thread starter macrumors 68000

Infrared

The question wasn’t really whether anyone was bothered by this, although it’s nice to hear that you are not.

Rather, I’m wondering what it is that necessitates an update every few days. That’s quite unusual.

4. gaanee macrumors 65816

Probably A/B testing new features. I have noticed that many subscription-based apps now tend to update weekly or bi-weekly, so maybe it has to do with checking subscription renewal. These apps also tend to include very generic release notes: "Bug fixes and performance improvements, we update the app frequently to bring you the best experience"... without really telling what was fixed or improved, giving an impression that you are using a buggy software which requires constant fixing.
    Outlook, VSCO, Word... just to name a few apps using this practice

5. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Quite possibily related to agile development approach that is practiced by a lot of companies these days.

6. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

This and it’s the best way forward for huge applications.