YouTube- upload h264 or huge file?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by matteusclement, Apr 19, 2012.

1. matteusclement macrumors 65816

matteusclement

Has anyone done tests to see I there is a quality difference on uploading a h264 final video file vs let's say a 2-4gb file? Am I splitting hairs here?

I shoot on a canon t2i, edit in premiere and usually output to h264 for delivery. I sometimes shoot on a canon hv30.

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I haven't done any tests, but if YT is going to compress whatever you give them you might as well give them something high quality.

Lethal

3. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

That was my thought.

Btw, am I better to bump my ISO from 400 to 800 in my camera or increase in post?

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

In camera (unless you are shooting RAW).

Lethal

5. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

The best advice I can give is to upload to YouTube the highest quality h.264 resulting video file that you can. In FCP X, uploading the ProRes export (which is at least 2x the filesize of a top quality h.264 compress) gets rejected by YouTube. I use the best multi-pass automatic video compress with best quality AAC variable bitrate audio compress, and with Fast Start enabled of course. Whatever equivalent software you can use to compress you video this way (I use compressor) will give you what you want when uploading to YouTube.

When you say a h.264 final video file vs a 2-4GB file I'm not exactly sure what you mean since my h.264 compressed files can top out at well over 20GB (for 15+ minute videos), in any case the answer would be compressing your project into a best quality h.264 (I use .mov) file and upload that.

6. loungecorps macrumors member

Look up, youtube advanced encoding specs... If you give them the format youtube wants it wont be recompressed

7. musicpenguy macrumors 6502a

Absolutely - you should upload at highest YouTube supported format - if YT reencodes it may end up not looking that good - plus the turn around time is not the best.

8. matteusclement thread starter macrumors 65816

matteusclement

I know Vimeo is like that, but I am sure that YT re encodes no matter what.