Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apple2E

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2008
CA
My geekbench score of my 1 year old Mac Pro

My Mac Pro
Mac OS X Leopard 64-bit
Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core (8-Core)
4GB of Ram
512MB 8800GT
1TB Of Hard Drives
Two 16x SuperDrives
AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)

Geek Bench Score- 8782

Your geekbench score is quite low for a 3.2 8 core.

My 2.8 get as much or higher. Plus you're not being totally fair because if you look at other geekbench scores on the geekbench website some i7 score around 11,000+.

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
Uhhh...If anything your comparison shows how lackluster your Mac Pro is. I mean, look, the 4 core i7 your comparing your machine to gets within ~800 Geekbench points of your 8 core system with CPUs that have a higher clock. I'm afraid this comparison is showing the exact opposite of what you think it does.

Hell, look at the system in my sig. I paid ~$1400 (including my copy of OSX) for it over a year ago, it has 4 less cores than your system, and yet my system, running the same OS as yours, is performing within ~700 Geekbench points of your system. How much did you pay for that thing?

Not only that, but the entire first page of top Geekbench 2 results are either Windows systems or Hackintosh's. I'd say, as far as performance goes, Mac Pros aren't owning anything, especially yours.

fiercetiger224

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2004
Uhhh...If anything your comparison shows how lackluster your Mac Pro is. I mean, look, the 4 core i7 your comparing your machine to gets within ~800 Geekbench points of your 8 core system with CPUs that have a higher clock. I'm afraid this comparison is showing the exact opposite of what you think it does.

Hell, look at the system in my sig. I paid ~$1400 (including my copy of OSX) for it over a year ago, it has 4 less cores than your system, and yet my system, running the same OS as yours, is performing within ~700 Geekbench points of your system. How much did you pay for that thing?

Not only that, but the entire first page of top Geekbench 2 results are either Windows systems or Hackintosh's. I'd say, as far as performance goes, Mac Pros aren't owning anything, especially yours.

I like how people make comparisons between Hackintoshs and real Macs. :cool:

Anyway, I also have a Hackintosh, that I spent about $1500 on as well. It's OCed, and I use it as an After Effects rendering machine. You still can't make a fair comparison between a Mac Pro vs a Hackintosh, especially if you've OCed it. :p

Also, with a Mac Pro, you get SERVER grade parts, not desktop parts. If you were to get the same (or similar) server-grade parts, and built yourself a completely similar machine, it's a guarantee you'd pay much more than a Mac Pro. So in that sense, you're getting a real bargain for a Mac Pro. A Mac Pro also makes an awesome server if you were to use it for that reason.

If you're not using a Hackintosh to it's fullest extent (such as After Effects rendering, etc), and built a Hackintosh OCed just to have bragging rights, then you're just wasting electricity at that point. You're just a Geekbench WHORE. :rolleyes: I don't understand the point of wasting time looking at numbers, when you could look at numbers from the money that you COULD be making.

BTW my Mac Pro still kicks my Hackintosh's ass in After Effects rendering, even if it's OCed. Why? Because it's got 32GB RAM now, not to mention the extra 4 cores. :D

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
Oh, I don't think that the Quadro 5800 will be obsolete for quite some time... :D

Especially with Snow Leopard.

Will you be buying an FX card - or put it on your 'I will be buying' list? Or two, as we sometimes equip our Dells with? Oh yes... that's not an offered option on a Pro, is it? (probably because it'll spontaneously combust, for one)

You know as well as I do that the vast majority of Pros will go out with the low and midrange cards - which have been in all cases so far been mid-life or within a few months of EOL products in a similar-class Windows machine (or not even offered due to the basic nature of the card) at the time of release on the Pros.

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
Will you be buying an FX card? Or two, as we sometimes equip our Dells with? Oh yes... that's not an offered option on a Pro, is it?

Of course, I...

Um...

Oh, you said BUYING... Okay, I thought you said, "Are you 'boy it'd be nice to have one'ing". :(

Seriously, you'd buy machines with a pair of graphics cards totalling $7,000?

WillThePlank

macrumors member
My geekbench score of my 1 year old Mac Pro

My Mac Pro
Mac OS X Leopard 64-bit
Two 3.2GHz Quad-Core (8-Core)
4GB of Ram
512MB 8800GT
1TB Of Hard Drives
Two 16x SuperDrives
AirPort Extreme Card (Wi-Fi)

Geek Bench Score- 8782

The i7 Windows PC computer 8094

got owned by a Mac

Don't know if the new Mac Pro's are going to use the new Intel i7's but I owned that Windows i7 PC just check out my youtube video 34skyline below.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9lNsctq1wXk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=geA8w9h9efE&watch_response

SO THIS IS WHERE ALL THE VIDEO VIEWS ARE COMING FROM!!!

Aha I never Knew this was posted on MacRumors.

Hi Im Will (The guy in the video in question) I feel I should probably answer a few questions and clear some stuff up, My brother brought down his Core i7 Vista machine down over the christmas period and he took it to my work and we decided for a laugh to put them head to head knowing that the the Core i7 would most likely win due to the fact it is newer hardware (my mac pro is the two year old configuration remember).

This video was no real VS at all this was just a bit of fun to show just how far technology moves on plus everyone loves a little look at new technology and a little bit of mac vs pc here and there (with my brother not dislking mac just not using them as he has worked in windows his whole life and has so much experience with it and uses it for a living, so he knows his way round windows to make it behave like it should!

Regarding 34skyline (who I also know off of youtube) that score is nothing to talk about in the competitive mannor you are, Your 8 core did not really gain enough over the 4 core core i7 to warrent what might be called ''owning'' but what you have to remember is that Your mac pro is a year old running on older technology so something will come along and beat it, It won't be the best forever but if it does what you need then why complain, Like with my Pro, sure its a couple years old but it still is a nice fast machine that caters to my needs.

Anyway who knows what Macworld will bring now that Apple is close with intel, There might just be that killer 8 core Core i7 Mac round the corner.

So please people don't take this video to seriously its all for fun and to be geeky =]

Regards Will

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
SO THIS IS WHERE ALL THE VIDEO VIEWS ARE COMING FROM!!!

Aha I never Knew this was posted on MacRumors.

Hi Im Will (The guy in the video in question) I feel I should probably answer a few questions and clear some stuff up, My brother brought down his Core i7 Vista machine down over the christmas period and he took it to my work and we decided for a laugh to put them head to head knowing that the the Core i7 would most likely win due to the fact it is newer hardware (my mac pro is the two year old configuration remember).

This video was no real VS at all this was just a bit of fun to show just how far technology moves on plus everyone loves a little look at new technology and a little bit of mac vs pc here and there (with my brother not dislking mac just not using them as he has worked in windows his whole life and has so much experience with it and uses it for a living, so he knows his way round windows to make it behave like it should!

Regarding 34skyline (who I also know off of youtube) that score is nothing to talk about in the competitive mannor you are, Your 8 core did not really gain enough over the 4 core core i7 to warrent what might be called ''owning'' but what you have to remember is that Your mac pro is a year old running on older technology so something will come along and beat it, It won't be the best forever but if it does what you need then why complain, Like with my Pro, sure its a couple years old but it still is a nice fast machine that caters to my needs.

Anyway who knows what Macworld will bring now that Apple is close with intel, There might just be that killer 8 core Core i7 Mac round the corner.

So please people don't take this video to seriously its all for fun and to be geeky =]

Regards Will
So your the guy in the video? Wow... that's awesome! Kudos on such a fine video and congrats for stiring stuff up. :D Just kidding.

Anyway, what do you prefer better in terms if speed? The mac or the i7?

WillThePlank

macrumors member
So your the guy in the video? Wow... that's awesome! Kudos on such a fine video and congrats for stiring stuff up. :D Just kidding.

Anyway, what do you prefer better in terms if speed? The mac or the i7?

Thankyou very much, I aim to entertain with a light fun side of tech which never gets to serious when it comes to being competitive like alot of people making apple and or microsoft videos on youtube =]

as far as speed is concerned? I would take my Mac Pro over the Vista machine anyday because I found (not just with this particular machine but with any I have used) that navigation round Vista can be laggy when going from one folder to another and boot up times always seem like they could be faster considering whats under the hood of the machine.

Besides when It comes to navigating round OS X It's always fast from folder to folder and the boot up is quick and there are so many features of OS X that make me enjoy using the computer more than I do with Vista ( I still use Microsoft oses and products, Big 360 fan, On a windows XP laptop right now which is a fast booter and reliable and does in bed net surfing with no complaints and I have a Vista machine at work running the callender and email servers) Like spaces, Expose, Dashboard, Spotlight...The list could go on. also with navigation I have a Mac Mini which feels just as fast, but its when you start rendering video or doing serious multi tasking that you see the Mac Pro shine over that thing...When im just web surfing on the Pro it only uses about 2% cpu to run the whole machine!

but the Core i7 definatly felt fast when loading apps and gaming on that thing is incredible, My brother has a 4870 and it ran left for dead at its highest spec on my 24 inch 1920x1200, so as windows machines go its Fantasic piece of kit, Well worth the money he paid for it!

So in summary Core i7 = Fast for windows, Mac Pro = still being damn fast and having the prefered OS.

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Thankyou very much, I aim to entertain with a light fun side of tech which never gets to serious when it comes to being competitive like alot of people making apple and or microsoft videos on youtube =]

as far as speed is concerned? I would take my Mac Pro over the Vista machine anyday because I found (not just with this particular machine but with any I have used) that navigation round Vista can be laggy when going from one folder to another and boot up times always seem like they could be faster considering whats under the hood of the machine.

Besides when It comes to navigating round OS X It's always fast from folder to folder and the boot up is quick and there are so many features of OS X that make me enjoy using the computer more than I do with Vista ( I still use Microsoft oses and products, Big 360 fan, On a windows XP laptop right now which is a fast booter and reliable and does in bed net surfing with no complaints and I have a Vista machine at work running the callender and email servers) Like spaces, Expose, Dashboard, Spotlight...The list could go on. also with navigation I have a Mac Mini which feels just as fast, but its when you start rendering video or doing serious multi tasking that you see the Mac Pro shine over that thing...When im just web surfing on the Pro it only uses about 2% cpu to run the whole machine!

but the Core i7 definatly felt fast when loading apps and gaming on that thing is incredible, My brother has a 4870 and it ran left for dead at its highest spec on my 24 inch 1920x1200, so as windows machines go its Fantasic piece of kit, Well worth the money he paid for it!

So in summary Core i7 = Fast for windows, Mac Pro = still being damn fast and having the prefered OS.
I agree. And the Mac Pro is soooo much more expandable than even your higher end core i7 desktop.

weez999

macrumors member
Jan 4, 2009
GA
It is not against the EULA to benchmark it in general. However, I believe there are exceptions.

And Vista is not bad. It may not be quite as good as OS X, but it is far from bad and only falls short of OS X a smudge. There are many features, as well as some "under the hood" features that can only be found in Windows. Vista has a great UI and stability is solid. Security could be better, but 90 percent of computers run Windows. I could go on and on.....

You are just a Mac fanboy and should spend more time with Windows before judging it. Try it out and conclude your OWN opinion. Sound good?:D

Actually, Slowstick, I am a Windows Network Administrator with about 15 years of experience and am very well trained with all Windows operating systems. I agree that Vista has some good stuff but honestly, I thank Vista everyday because in Aug 2007, I switched to Mac and never went back. I still maintain Windows networks thought, but I just go soooo tired of the never ending driver updates, firmware updates, incompatibilities with Windows etc. Granted, I gave up on M$ when Vista was only 7 months old but I think Vista is the beginning of the end of M$. I really do. It is the most bloated OS I have ever worked with.

Using Mac has been incredible. I have not had one single issue with any of my Macs, iPods or iPhones. My experiences are not the same with windows based products. This is just my personal experience. That does not mean that I hate windows, it just means that Vista was all she wrote for me. I won't even touch it anymore. XP was so polished and stable and MS in their infinite wisdom decided to rewrite the entire code of the OS. You have to agree that it was pretty dumb to do that....

I plan to at least give Windows 7 a shot. :)

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
It's not bad. ;)

I guess I'm just too used to servers, and having enough room in them to seem like an empty vault compared to a Mac Pro's internals. :p

Unfortunately, for what I wanted to do, the Mac Pro won't work well, as it has too little room, and some issues with cable lengths. To make what I need work, would eliminate the lower cost of a base MP to an equivalent PC, as I'd need to buy external RAID enclosures, cables,...

Though I have been toying around with the idea of a Mac Pro transplant. Just gut the MP, and stuff it into a server case. :eek: :p

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
It's not bad. ;)

I guess I'm just too used to servers, and having enough room in them to seem like an empty vault compared to a Mac Pro's internals. :p

Unfortunately, for what I wanted to do, the Mac Pro won't work well, as it has too little room, and some issues with cable lengths. To make what I need work, would eliminate the lower cost of a base MP to an equivalent PC, as I'd need to buy external RAID enclosures, cables,...

Though I have been toying around with the idea of a Mac Pro transplant. Just gut the MP, and stuff it into a server case. :eek: :p

It's certainly no server but a great workstation. :)

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
It's not even a workstation. It's a fancy home computer. That's literally all that I can use it for.

And you know, it's a puzzler to me that without fail, every single post which begins "I've been a sysadmin for xx years / I've been an IT professional for xx years" leads me to wonder what they've been doing for those xx years.

sneezymarble

macrumors 6502
Oct 1, 2008
I like how people make comparisons between Hackintoshs and real Macs. :cool:

Why shouldn't I. My needs required at least a quad core machine that ran OSX. It would have cost me, at the time, $2300 for an authentic quad core Mac Pro with only 2GBs of RAM, 320GBs of HD space, and a 2600 video card. Instead I paid $1400 for a quad core machine with 8GBs of RAM, 1TB of HD space and an 8800GTX with 768MBs of RAM. It works perfectly fine and spanks the hell out of the base $2700 Mac Pro.

You still can't make a fair comparison between a Mac Pro vs a Hackintosh, especially if you've OCed it. :p

Why not? I want to compare the money spent for the performance I get. Since I don't have a need for more than 8GBs of RAM I get a HUGE price/performance benefit by going with a well built Hackintosh. It's simply maths really.

Also, with a Mac Pro, you get SERVER grade parts, not desktop parts. If you were to get the same (or similar) server-grade parts, and built yourself a completely similar machine, it's a guarantee you'd pay much more than a Mac Pro.

I know you think that OCing is "cheating" or whatever, but I've shown several times on this forum that you can get a 2.8GHz octo-core Hackintosh with more RAM, more HD space and a better video card than the bare bones quad core Mac Pro. If I need more than 8GBs of RAM in the future, that's most certainly what I'll be doing.
So in that sense, you're getting a real bargain for a Mac Pro. A Mac Pro also makes an awesome server if you were to use it for that reason.

Mac Pros are a good deal if you compare them to other manufacturers workstations. I'm speaking of manufacturers like Dell and HP. However, their "dealiness" wears of when compared to thoughtful home built machine with decent cooling and an OC. The concept is performance per dollar.

If you're not using a Hackintosh to it's fullest extent (such as After Effects rendering, etc), and built a Hackintosh OCed just to have bragging rights, then you're just wasting electricity at that point. You're just a Geekbench WHORE. :rolleyes: I don't understand the point of wasting time looking at numbers, when you could look at numbers from the money that you COULD be making.

I agree. That's why I use mine for work in Photoshop, Lightwave, Zbrush, and Final Cut. Oh wait, were you trying to imply that I'm just a Geekbench whore?... :rolleyes:

BTW my Mac Pro still kicks my Hackintosh's ass in After Effects rendering, even if it's OCed. Why? Because it's got 32GB RAM now, not to mention the extra 4 cores. :D

Well no DUH. The point is, however, that I could build a 32GB octo-core system that matches or exceeds the clock speeds of yours for less than you paid for that system and in that sense get the same performance for less money or get better performance for less money.

Oh, and just to be smarmy, I'll point out that the first Mac Pro to show up on the top Geekbench 2 score board is 24th. What's worse is all the i7 systems that come before it are quad core systems running 8 threads.

weez999 said:
I plan to at least give Windows 7 a shot.

You really ought to. It's quite impressive. I've been using it for several days now on my laptop and have found that it performs faster than even the sacred Windows XP. Even in this beta stage I'd say it's a better OS than Vista. That's coming from a guy that really hasn't had any trouble with Vista and thinks it's a decent OS (even though I still prefer OSX for usability).

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
[Windows 7]You really ought to. It's quite impressive. I've been using it for several days now on my laptop and have found that it performs faster than even the sacred Windows XP. Even in this beta stage I'd say it's a better OS than Vista. That's coming from a guy that really hasn't had any trouble with Vista and thinks it's a decent OS (even though I still prefer OSX for usability).

Good to hear. :)

I've been hoping MS would finally learn to dump at least a big chunk of legacy code, and streamline their OS. Granted, they've been disseminating information that declares this, but it's nice to see some confirmation from an independent source whose pay check may not be on the line. ;)

Have they finally begun to fix other items such as security (open ports specifically)?

Slowstick

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2008
Good to hear. :)

I've been hoping MS would finally learn to dump at least a big chunk of legacy code, and streamline their OS. Granted, they've been disseminating information that declares this, but it's nice to see some confirmation from an independent source whose pay check may not be on the line. ;)

Have they finally begun to fix other items such as security (open ports specifically)?

I would just buy an internet security suite that does all that for you. I know.... you shouldn't HAVE to do that... but it works.

m1stake

macrumors 68000
Jan 17, 2008
Philly
Are benchmarks supposed to be "fair?" What constitutes a "fair" benchmark anyway? If I performed benchmark tests on my machines I'd want to which one is better overall, caveats be damned. Of course, I don't think I'd use geekbench even if I did benchmark stuff - I'm just too busy using my computers.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I would just buy an internet security suite that does all that for you. I know.... you shouldn't HAVE to do that... but it works.
I know, and Yes, I have such software, and keep it updated. :)

Having to fix a programs flaws with another program, isn't on the top of my "favorite things" list. ;)

It eats resources, and to top it off, I have to pay for it! :eek: :p

So I just had to ask, as I couldn't help myself. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.