youtube videos look pixelated on iphone sometimes (?)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by AtrocityExhibit, Sep 22, 2007.

1. AtrocityExhibit macrumors newbie

i am planning no getting an iphone in the next few weeks and so ive been at the apple store and at&t store by me alot playing with them and i have noticed that at the at&t store, twice now (at two different at&t stores) that any video i try to look at on youtube looks really pixelated and choppy.. ive never seen this problem at an apple store though.. anyone know what the deal is? is it if you not in a strong wi-fi area or something?

2. sanford macrumors 65816

Quality of source material on YouTube. Some look great, some look like Mars rover snapshots transmitted back to earth and strung into a frame-by-frame video. Not the iPhone or WiFi, not even EGDE. I get some spectacular video over EDGE; just takes a bit longer to cache before it starts playing.

Remember, a fair amount of you YouTube content is shot with sorry camera-phones with video functions.

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

On Edge Youtube serves lower quality vids. On WiFi you get the "high" quality version.

4. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

No... it's EDGE.

Quality is greatly reduced over EDGE.

5. sanford macrumors 65816

True. Yet with good source material, EDGE pretty darn good, really; but, yeah, it does adjust for bandwidth.

6. AtrocityExhibit thread starter macrumors newbie

nah im talkin about like watching the same video and seeing it differently.. like a music video by a band or such..

7. VoodooDaddy macrumors 65816

The same video that looks clean/clear over wifi will look blocky/choppy over edge. You dont get the same quality over edge as you do over wifi, even on the exact same video.

8. AtrocityExhibit thread starter macrumors newbie

I see.. cuz i dont have Wi-fi at home (in fact i have dial up 56k still.. its very sad..) so i suppose unless my neighbors have wifi and i can leech form theirs i will only have choppy videos while im at home