Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
First of all, this ipod is not under warranty and I'm not near a real apple store with genius'. Here's the problem: wireless works fine, safari is fine, everything is great with this ipod except that it won't play any music, youtube videos (yes, through the youtube app), or anything else. When I try to play a song, the play button appears for a second and then the song stops. When I load a you tube video, the video won't play. I can scroll through you tube videos and watch people gradually contort :D, but no sound. Now, I also noticed that the ipod doesn't generate ANY sound. No clicks, no sound effects when playing games (I installed a free game to test this out) etc.

My hunch is that there is some sort of problem with the audio jack. I'm guessing that for ipod touch like other ipods, when a song is playing and you pull out the headphones, the song pauses. Youtube vids too? I don't know. I've just tried cleaning the jack with cotton buds and alcohol (per some helpful instructions on these forums), but have not seen any positive results. I should add that, yes, it's been restored (twice actually).

Any thoughts on how I might repair this or should I insert it back into the ebay pool?

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
I would like to update this thread with the news that I got this ipod to work by downgrading the firmware to 2.2.1 While I'm happy it works, I would like to know if anyone has heard of this problem occurring and, if so, if there is a fix. I would like to have the ipod running with the latest firmware.

Thanks

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.