YouTube videos need ringer on for sound?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Scottm1207, Sep 24, 2014.

1. Scottm1207 macrumors newbie

Am I going crazy or was I able to hear the sound on YouTube videos when my ringer switch was turned off, but now with iOS 8, the ringer switch must be turned on in order to hear the audio on YouTube videos? I thought my new i6 was broken when I played YouTube videos from Facebook (so far the only way by which I've tried watching videos) and I was getting no audio. Just for yuks I switched the ringer switch to on, and audio started playing. Definitely never had to do that before. Is this a new "feature"?

2. C DM macrumors Westmere

Started noticing this back in iOS 7.1 in the last month or two myself. Wasn't something consistent, just something that would happen sometimes.

3. Fanboi4life macrumors regular

Fanboi4life

I'm having the same problem and thought I was going crazy or had a bad phone! However, I can't hear sound even when I have it on ringer! I'll hear the sound for one second, before it fades away and I can't hear the video AT ALL! Wth???

4. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Not a consistent issue, but it is there and I think the latest update to the YouTube app has fixed it.

5. andrunious macrumors member

had same issue but new youtube update fixed it...still happens on some videos via websites/apps/facebook. just weird that it's not all videos. wife's phone doesnt do it but mine does...

6. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

This has been a problem for me on-and-off since the iPhone launched in June 2007. Sometimes the ringer switch silences YouTube, and sometimes other things too. There is no rhyme or reason to it. I'll just notice no sound and flip the switch and it's good. But since I almost always keep my phone on vibrate I inevitably forget to turn it back off and the phone goes off at an inopportune moment. It seems like the issue was mostly fixed for a year or two there, but started noticing it more with iOS 7 last year.

7. bushido Suspended

bushido

thats why i am always scared to play something during class because i never and have never trusted the mute switch on an iPhone ever since the 3G days. it is very inconsistent

8. C DM macrumors Westmere

I just make sure the volume is lowered to basically mute level, which takes care of that.

9. bushido Suspended

bushido

yeah but sometimes it puts down the volume of the wrong thing and i have to wait til the app is actually open before i can lower its sound. i usually cover up the speaker and lower it as quick as possible just to be sure sure that it is in fact on silent

10. C DM macrumors Westmere

I see. Generally the volume either controls the ringer or whatever you are using (and I guess there's a separate one for Siri). I disabled buttons controlling the ringer volume in settings and since then whenever I lower the volume using the side buttons on the phone before launching a video or even starting a game or anything like that it all stays muted.