Youtube videos play like choppy garbage

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by afrowq, Feb 12, 2012.

1. afrowq macrumors member

afrowq

This has only been an issue since the recent Youtube site revamp (maybe the past month or 2). Youtube videos play like garbage. Choppy, as if only 1/4 or so of the frames are playing. I'm guessing it has something to do with the flash engine on the videos not being completely compatible with the PPC architecture. Does anyone know if there's a way to fix it (or at least make it better?) I've tried right clicking on the video and adjusting the "settings", including de-selecting the "enable hardware acceleration" option. But that hasn't helped.

What really pisses me off is that this computer SHOULD be perfectly capable of doing something as simple as playing a youtube video. But the effing software/web developers keep dumping all over the PPC.

I'm using a dual 2ghz G5 Power Mac with 3gb of ram and OS 10.4.11

Thanks

2. skinniezinho macrumors 6502a

Well I guess your best bet is mactubes...
    Other solutions are covered in the FAQ in my sig.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Playing a YouTube video is not as easy as you'd think for a PPC Mac. I wouldn't expect it to be able to. If it can, well, that's great... But I would hardly be outraged if it couldn't. I think you might be expecting too much of your older macintosh :(

4. afrowq thread starter macrumors member

afrowq

I don't believe that's the case, because youtube videos worked JUST FINE on my computer until Youtube did their big site refresh recently. Which leads me to believe it's some sort of coding/development/Flash issue.

5. INSURGENCYmusic macrumors member

INSURGENCYmusic

What browser are you using? it might be the browser. I dont have any trouble on mine. I even play in full screen mode.

6. afrowq thread starter macrumors member

afrowq

Problem solved! The flash hack this guy posted worked like a charm. Whoo hoo! I can even watch videos on facebook now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrAKhv3R_c

Take that, Adobe/Apple developer a-holes! PPC FOREVER, BITCHES!

7. Nova77 Guest

My girlfriend's 933 mhz single CPU Quicksilver (stock graphics) can handle youtube streaming in HD 720p. (Search in my previous posts to find the trick). I find ****ing outrageous to read the OP's should not expect his dual 2 ghz G5 to handle youtube.

Bloated, badly coded stupid apps and ridiculously fast version changing (and file format changes...) are a plague. YOU used to change your computer for a new one when it started to be too slow to handle new stuff. Now you must change your computer because some guys decided THEY want you to get a new computer.

+1 for MacTubes
    Video Downloadhelper for Tenfourfox is great too.

8. amagnet macrumors newbie

amagnet

I'll have to try mactubes. frustrating to have a serviceable if not older PPC that gets choked on web content. What happened to low end machines being fine for web browsing??

9. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

You must never increase the quality past 360p then! My Dual 2.0 always struggled unless it was at the very bottom 240p setting, which was unacceptable.

10. afrowq thread starter macrumors member

afrowq

No. Even on 720, the video plays fine now, thanks to the flash hack.

Do you really think a dual 2.0 ghz machine would stutter by something as simple as playing a video? It's the software/coding responsible for any lag. It has NOTHING to do with the capabilities of the hardware.

11. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

powerbook G4 1.5GHz,512 mem,gforce fx go5200 64mb ram,osx leopard,flash hack

i can run utubes at 360p full screen (i just allow video to download about a min or so before watching)

12. GermanyChris, Feb 14, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2012

GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

I love the assumption that PowerPC simply can't do anything any more. I watch 720p video from Hulu prime as well as Amazon at full screen 1920x1080. I play flash based facebook games as well. It's truly silly to think that a machine with 2 2ghz processors can't watch youtube.

Why is the default always..chuck the PowerPC and get and Intel?

13. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

Typical idea about the PowerPC machines from the uninformed crowed.

14. Atlantico macrumors 6502

Atlantico

Wow.. I'm playing rather smooth youtube videos on a 700 MHz G4 eMac!!! That's ... wow. I'm speachless, that's one damn fine hack of the Flash plugin. Or whatever that guy did.

:cool:

15. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

Well, nobody in this thread suggested that, but yes... most people will say that! PPCs are more powerful than they get credit for.

When I was talking about my Dual 2.0 not being able to play high quality youtube, I was speaking strictly in the flash player on the website. I'm sure it would have been fine in HD using MacTubes or other tweaks. But comparing apples to apples with what the OP is using, my Dual 2.0 sucked when playing YT clips in the browser with no tweaks... as would be expected.

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Wow man..you wen't who I was comenting on the top quote is..

An it's fine using flash player on the site the only time its gets wonky is if you manually select 1080, it'll drop more frames than it plays.. Amazon and Hulu both use flash also..no kiddin..seek the tip and trick you'll be amazed..a dual 2.0GHZ no matter the processor is plenty fast enough for the modern web you just have to try.

17. burnout8488 macrumors 6502a

18. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

PPC Flash vulnerability

Hey, Kaiser over at tenfourfox has posted that PPC mac versions (likely including the hacked one that works with Facebook) of flash are vulnerable to this recently discovered flash exploit. No update from Adobe for PPC of course.

http://arstechnica.com/business/new...h-exploited-to-control-users-web-accounts.ars

From how I read it seems to be a mostly Internet Explorer thing...but just thought people might like to know about it

19. ohsoez macrumors newbie

Choppy Video

I'm adding this because I keep forgetting. My computer couldn't play any kind of online or streaming video, not youtube, not news, not anything without having stuttering or choppy, or locking up every 3 seconds. The basic problem is your wireless router. I had a linksys router (black with the blue bar) and there is some issue with the apple computers and the newness of new routers. Once I bought a new wireless router everything is just fine. (This is thanks to the Apple guy at Best Buy). It has something to do with the speed or compression or mhz or something and it's the router's fault not the computer. If your router is more than a year old, get a new one. Don't download anything and dont sign up for any of the apple cleaning things.