YouTube videos saturated...help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Jamooche, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Jamooche macrumors regular

I have a Mac Mini and a MacBook Air. The Mac Mini plays YouTube videos with the colors very very saturated (heavy red skin tones, etc.). The Air displays everything fine. This only started today and I can't find any settings that are different. Both were just updated to the latest Flash Player and have all Software Updated completed. My iPhone displays everything normally too.

The Mac Mini displays photos and regular websites ok too. It's ONLY the YouTube videos.

What could be causing this problem?

Thanks for any help!

2. Jamooche thread starter macrumors regular

And the problem is:

ADOBE FLASH PLAYER!!!

Steve Jobs was right. I upgraded to the current version of 11.1.102.55 and it doesn't work well with the Mac Mini video drivers. I think the previous version of 11.0.1.152 worked fine because I didn't notice this problem until yesterday...but I can't find anywhere to download that version!

I figured this out by switching the YouTube settings to view videos with HTML5 instead of Flash. Voila! Saturated colors gone! Full screen doesn't work, but at least I know it's not my computer or some other issue.

Anyone else have this problem?

3. Jamooche thread starter macrumors regular

4. simsaladimbamba

Yeah, I guessed so, but they listed it as the version you were looking for.

here are older versions of Flash: http://mac.oldapps.com/flash_player.php

5. Jamooche, Dec 4, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2011

Jamooche thread starter macrumors regular

EDIT: 10.3 still is saturated. Something on my computer is messing with Flash Player. Not sure what it can be.

The ONLY way I can get colors right is if I switch YouTube to view in HTML5. Firefox and Safari both view everything saturated on Vimeo and YouTube.

What else could I possibly change?

6. Jamooche thread starter macrumors regular

Hmmm...

I hooked my Dell u2711 display into my MacBook Air and dragged the safari window back and forth between the external Dell display and the Air screen. It only looked saturated on the Dell display. But if the Safari window was mostly on the Dell, the Air would look saturated. If most of the window was on the Air the colors desaturate. They would also desaturate the portion showing on the Dell.

I think the problem might be with a flash player driver issue with the Thunderbolt drivers and / or an issue with the new drivers and this specific display.

All the videos look fine when viewing in iMovie, Quicktime, even after downloading some from Vimeo etc.

HTML 5 still looks good.

Here's the video I was working on when I found this problem:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u-frAPv5EFk

How does the saturation look to you?

I have found that not all videos change saturation when turning on and off HTML5.