YouTube videos sometimes doesn't load on iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ducaticanine, Aug 11, 2015.

1. ducaticanine macrumors newbie

ducaticanine

I'd say 25% of the time I tap a YouTube video to load it will not. I'll get an error to tap again to retry. eventually it will work. very unstable. but after visiting friends apartments or other places with wifi, YouTube always loads perfect. so clearly it must be my router which by the way is brand new. and I have a very fast connection. any idea what is happening here? works 100% fine on my laptop. it's just my iPhone and iPad.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Are you connected to g or n band? I find if I connect to my virgin router on its g band I get loading issues. I've the n band loading issues are non existent. With my airport I have no issues on any band.

3. ducaticanine thread starter macrumors newbie

ducaticanine

thanx for the reply but i'm not sure what that means exactly. how do i change to 'n' band?

4. ducaticanine thread starter macrumors newbie

ducaticanine

looks I figured it out. went into settings on my iPad. into wifi. my wifi username. and changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8... now it works. what exactly does it mean to change this DNS? I read somewhere to make this change and now YouTube loads 100% of the time

5. ducaticanine thread starter macrumors newbie

ducaticanine

looks I figured it out. went into settings on my iPad. into wifi. my wifi username. and changed the DNS to 8.8.8.8... now it works. what exactly does it mean to change this DNS? I read somewhere to make this change and now YouTube loads 100% of the time

6. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The dons server address is what your computer uses as a phone book of sorts. So when you type in an address it passes to the server and then the server points it in the right direction. (That's a very basic description).

Pointing it to 8.8.8.8 is google dns server which is very quick. Routing through the right server can make a huge difference.

7. ducaticanine thread starter macrumors newbie

ducaticanine

thanx..so is 'pointing it to 8.8.8.8' a good or bad thing? not sure i know what that means. hope it will be fine.
    thx

8. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k