Youtube videos will not play?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by D2K2013, Jul 5, 2011.

1. D2K2013 macrumors newbie

I have the mid-2010 MBP 15" notebook running Snow Leopard. Earlier today I was able to play videos on Youtube. Now I can't. I only get a black box without play/pause toggle controls when cursor is moved. The only significant change was an update Apple pushed for Java today. I can play videos on Hulu and other flash-based video sites. The video doesn't work on Safari, Google Chrome, or Firefox. I provided a screenshot below if it helps. Thanks again!
    [​IMG]

2. Hansr macrumors 6502a

Download and and reinstall the plugin/player from adobe.com

3. D2K2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I've done that already (I knew it wasn't the issue) but tried again. It affects all web browsers.

I just discovered that embedded Youtube videos on other sites play just fine. This is strange. I still cannot view on the main site.

4. D2K2013 thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright I fixed my own problem. I had to clean out the cache and/or browsing history in all of the browsers. For some reason the videos will not load until the user does so.

5. Asymair95 macrumors newbie

I also just discovered the same problem as the original poster. I have a mid 2009 mac book with os-x and safari. I was able to view youtube videos in the morning, but by afternoon was unable to.

I also went to the flash player site and uninstalled and reinstalled the updated version and rebooted the computer...still nothin though. I deleted the history and cache from the menus up top, but still am unable to view videos. Anybody have anymore ideas?

6. maveness, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

maveness macrumors member

Since using software update last night I too am having Flash video problems.

In both Safari and Firefox, I get a blank black box.

I have reinstalled Flash directly from Adobe.
    I have cleared the browser cache.
    I have rebooted.
    I have logged in as a different user.
    I have repaired permissions.

I have put my left foot in and my left foot out; I've put my left foot in and shaken it all about.

NOTHING WORKS.

Any help gratefully received.

7. maveness, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011

maveness macrumors member

Some further data. So far, it looks as if the problem may be restricted to YouTube. I can watch video on Vimeo, Hulu, and CNN without problem.

There were a bunch of Java-related permissions problems, including this one:

"System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.6.0/Resources/JavaPluginCocoa.bundle/Contents/Resources/Java/libdeploy.jnilib".
    Warning: SUID file "System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/MacOS/ARDAgent" has been modified and will not be repaired.

The plot thickens.

UPDATE: After the third time I repaired permission and rebooted, all of a sudden YouTube videos are playing. It sounds like voodoo, and I'd be skeptical too, but all I can tell you is that is the ONLY thing I changed. Hope the "three times is a charm" thing works for you, too.

8. Modernape macrumors regular