YouTube vids, says I got no EDGE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by macfilm, Nov 30, 2007.

1. macfilm macrumors regular

Hi, I have a blue square at the top of my iPhone screen, so that means I'm on EDGE right?
    Yet when I go to YouTube it says I need EDGE or WiFi....what's going on with that?

I'm an O2 customer and on 1.1.2

2. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

If it's just a blue square then you have GPRS. If it has an E in the centre then you're on EDGE.

3. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

But I thought in the 1.1.2 update it took out the E from the blue square, I read that somewhere.
    I've had my iPhone for two weeks now and have never seen an E, and I live in a big town!

4. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

So what is a white square with an E in it? Sometimes I get blue, and sometimes white!

5. sparkyms macrumors 65816

In 1.1.2 they did and didnt take the "E" from the blue square. They took it from the blue square in instances where you are not using EDGE, you are using GPRS. I think they did that mainly because our EDGE coverage in the UK is relatively poor that we actually need to distinguish when we are on EDGE and when on the GPRS network.

Hope this helps!

6. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

ok. so do you think I should phone O2 and ask them to set up my EDGE, cause I literally have not seen it once. When I first got a WiFi signal the O2 page automatically came up but my number hadn't ported over at that time so I didn't enter my number, just canceled it....haven't seen it since!

7. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

You don't need them to 'activate' your EDGE connection - if it's there it'll use it.

8. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular

But I've been to Brighton and London since getting the iPhone and still have not seen the E, something must be up

9. Leemo macrumors 6502

Leemo

The only thing O2 can check is that you have a data connection itself - which you must have to be getting GPRS. They can't just switch on/off EDGE connections for individual accounts.

10. sparkyms macrumors 65816

Macfilm: there may actually be no EDGE reception yet in Brighton, o2 has about 30% of the uk covered as of yet. So it may take a while for you to get EDGE signals where you live or where you commute to.

It does seem like o2 are increasing coverage daily though, so if you want call them and ask if they have any plans to upgrade to edge in your postcodes any time soon.

11. macfilm thread starter macrumors regular