YouTube Won't Play in Safari

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by prairiefire, Apr 6, 2012.

1. prairiefire macrumors member

Jun 8, 2007
    MacBook Pro
    Safari 5.1.5
    Lion 10.7.3

YouTube videos will not play in Safari unless I diddle with the settings -- resolution of the video or size of the window.

When I click a video, I get a black window with the rotating circle. It's not buffering -- I have very fast Internet -- it will not play until I diddle.

The same video's play, immediately, in Chrome and Firefox.

Any ideas?

PS. I think this happened after a Flash upgrade from Software Upgrade. I've gone to Adobe's site and installed the latest Flash. Since it works in other browsers, I don't see this as a Flash issue. Am I wrong?
  2. blatopilot macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2011
    Chrome has built in flash, but Firefox does not, so you are probably correct.

Did you try reseting Safari from the menu? Give that a go and see if anything changes.

You could also try using html5 to isolate if its flash or not

If you get normal playback it probably is flash.
  3. prairiefire thread starter macrumors member

Jun 8, 2007
    Disabled HTML5 Trial and It Works

Blatopilot --thanks for the response.

I did the opposite. I went to the site you posted and learned about the HTML5 trial. I was "enrolled" in the trial.

So, I turned it off and now YouTube works.

I'll turn it back on, when I have time, to see what that does.

Thank you.

4. fisherking macrumors 603

Jul 16, 2010
    ny somewhere
    having the same problem; audio starts, video stutters...
    i close the page and the audio plays a little still.

so i just did the opposite; i enrolled in the html5 trial, and will see what changes.

meanwhile, will follow this thread, see if anyone else is having the problem
    (or has a fix)
  5. petekjohnson macrumors newbie

May 24, 2012
    Springfield, MO
    Safari 32-bit mode

I've been having the same problem as described here by everyone else: Youtube videos will not play in Safari. Other sites play video just fine, and other browsers (i.e. Chrome) play the same Youtube videos just fine.

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the Flash plugin. I tried resetting the Flash Player by deleting all of its stored data under the Local Storage and Advanced sections of the Flash Player preference pane. I tried forcing Youtube to play HTML5 versions of the videos using ClickToFlash. Nothing seemed to work.

Then I read on another forum that I should put Safari into 32-bit mode (In Finder, Get Info on Safari icon and check the 32-bit mode box) and that this would fix the problem. I attempted to do this, and to my surprise, Safari was ALREADY in 32-bit mode. I unchecked the 32-bit mode box and restarted Safari (now in its native 64-bit mode, presumably) and suddenly Youtube is working fine again.
  6. unblocktheplane macrumors newbie

Nov 4, 2007
    None of the above

MacBook Pro 2.33 GHz
    Safari 5.1.7
    Mac OS X 10.6.8

Neither enabling or refuting HTML5 in YouTube nor checking or unchecking 32-bit mode in Safari work for me.
  7. blatopilot macrumors regular

Sep 24, 2011
    In Safari preferences on the security tab, are plugins enabled?

Is Flash up to date?

Do you use any Safari extensions? Try disabling them and test it.
  8. c13 macrumors newbie

Nov 7, 2013
    youtube not playing try

try installing opera browser it worked for me :):apple: