Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hello to you all. It happened suddenly: YouTube stopped displaying videos and prompted "Something went wrong. send a report". This happens only when I am connected to my account. Videos can be seen when I disconnect from my account. connected wit another account, same thing. Each time I connect with a account, I have the message "something went wrong". Where does originate the error: Apple TV or YouTube. Videos play no problem on my iPhones, iMac, iPad Air 2, iPad 2 et 4. tvOs 14.4, iOS 14,1, macOS 10.14.16. Can someone help or direct me in the good direction? Thanks in advance.

Reactions: retta283

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
So I already tried this yesterday but today it ended up working.

1. Open YouTube, and sign out.

2. Restart the Apple TV.

3. Try and play a video on guest account. If it works, sign back in and the video should play again. If not, restart the apple TV again and keep repeating step three until you can eventually play a video on the default account.

SonicYouts

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2009
YouTube stopped displaying videos and prompted "Something went wrong. send a report".
I had this problem as well. Deleting the app and re-installing fixed the issue. Hold down the trackpad button and then press play/pause > delete

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Hi, tried all evening what chrono1081 proposed. Something worked out of his method but dunno what and when. Did number 3 almost 5 times with no result. Then added a second account, closed YT and restarted ATV. Then played a video as guest. Quit YT, opened it again and switched to my main account and all of a sudden could play videos from main account with subscriptions and all. Now does someone know what caused this freaking glitch in the machine? In any case, thanks to you all.

Last edited:

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
So I already tried this yesterday but today it ended up working.

1. Open YouTube, and sign out.

2. Restart the Apple TV.

3. Try and play a video on guest account. If it works, sign back in and the video should play again. If not, restart the apple TV again and keep repeating step three until you can eventually play a video on the default account.
Chrono 1081: When you sign out it says 'remove account from this device'. Is this what you did? Thanks...

snow755

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2012
I can watch YouTube on my Mac mini M1 but I can't watch YouTube on apple TV

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Can login/watch on iPhone/iPad and MBP...but not Apple TV. Wonder what the issue is??? Called others and they have no problem with their 4K Apple TV. Mine is ATV HD (4 th. Gen).

Last edited:

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
Friend, this bug is becoming very annoying. All that can be said right now is follow the steps described in the messages. I will call Apple Help Center because I want a straight answer. I'm sure te problem originats from Apple TV if not YT wouldn't work on all our other App devices.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Did you try playing a video from the guest account? I think that may be the key, it never worked for me until I played a video from the guest account after removing my account.
Yes...it played from guest account ....once...then wouldn't again. Searched Apple Support Forums and lots of people experiencing the same issue. Have tried total removal of power and HMDI from ATV...wait...re-connect/ re-install Youtube (also disconnect from internet) etc...nothing. Works on all other devices with same internet and YT id/log in. Again...same problem is making the rounds of the Apple Forums and no-one has chanced upon a solution. I'm thinking its on Googles part as they may have created the issue when they 'de-listed' the ATV version 3 devices. Mine is a ATV 4 HD...which is still supposed to be able to work. Same issues (per screen shots) as denoted on Apple Forums. Also, after each try, it seemed as if for a second it was trying to play the video....weird that the correct screen and box headings on the left of the screen , as well as PLAYING video choices, show up but the app fails when a video is chosen!

Racineur

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 11, 2013
Montréal, Québec
So you're saying Google updated YT while de-listing it for ATV version 3? Must be the only thing I can think of. One day YT works flawlessly, next day, it's all f***ked up. Now when you want to use YT on ATV HD and up, you start bt playing a video from guest account, then you qui YT, then you open it again and change Guest yo your main account. Then YT plays videos through your main account. Great, I'm planning a trip to New York, I'll go the Moon first.

pmiles

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2013
Just in case it isn't apparent, the app that is use on Apple TV is not the same as the one used on the iPhone, or the iPad, or used on a computer.

And I have been using Youtube without any issues. Of course I am not uploading videos to Youtube to watch nor am I using their paid services.

If you are so certain the problem lies with the Apple TV, then you should be factory resetting the device as well as reinstalling the app.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
Seems that YouTube is aware of this....news here (MR) and on 9-5Mac and other places. No solution as of yet though from YT but some offered on MR and 9-5 Mac. Sorry I didn't make links.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Seems that YouTube is aware of this....news here (MR) and on 9-5Mac and other places. No solution as of yet though from YT but some offered on MR and 9-5 Mac. Sorry I didn't make links.
One thing I noticed is people were saying to sign back in to YouTube with the “using your phone” option, which is what I did because I didn’t want to type my login. I would try doing that if you haven’t already.

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
One thing I noticed is people were saying to sign back in to YouTube with the “using your phone” option, which is what I did because I didn’t want to type my login. I would try doing that if you haven’t already.
Will try. Related(?) During all of this have you noticed that the 'login using iPad'/for typing' option has not been coming up?

Blowback

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2018
VA
All: this works; from the Apple Forums:

1616462678622.png

I couldn't back-trace exactly but try to sign in with 'guest' on the tv...don't use 'phone' when offered...then go to the site that it offers per above and enter the code thats on your tv to sign in 'your tv' via you Mac .....it will then have your tv YT up and running. Can then go , via Mac , to Google security page and disconnect phone/iPad or Mac or anything else you don't want connected. Sorry if somewhat confusing as I followed what Mcurti407 has above but then followed what was on my TV....the site he mentions 'Youtube.com/active' is incorrect but your tv will give you the correct address.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.