Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

YouTube is considering offering a feature that would let people sign up for subscription services from third-party entertainment companies through YouTube, reports The Information.

Such a feature would be similar to Apple TV Channels and the Amazon Channels option from Amazon, both of which allow users to sign up for paid video services through their Apple ID and Amazon accounts, respectively.

youtube_logo_2017.jpg

Apple in March 2019 unveiled a revamped Apple TV app with the Apple TV Channels option, which lets Apple TV owners sign up for services like CBS All Access, Starz, Showtime, Comedy Central Now, HBO, and more right in the TV app without having to open up another app. Amazon has offered a similar feature since 2015.

appletvchannels.jpg

YouTube is said to be in talks with "several entertainment companies" about adding their services to YouTube, but the status of the talks is unknown at this time.

A subscription channel offering would add value to YouTube TV, YouTube's current streaming television service. YouTube TV, priced at $50 per month, offers live and on-demand cable access and has attracted two million subscribers.

It's unclear if the new subscription channel offering would be linked to YouTube TV specifically or would be a separate endeavor available to a broader range of YouTube users.

According to The Information, offering stand-alone subscriptions could help YouTube improve profit margins on YouTube TV as it would get a cut of sales on its platform. Apple and Amazon, for example, take a cut of 30 to 50 percent of subscription fees from their channel partners, a lucrative addition to their own streaming services.

Article Link: YouTube Working on Apple TV Channels-Like Feature for Third-Party Video Subscriptions

Beyo

macrumors member
May 29, 2017
Poznań
Google cannot bring youtube tv to Europe so don’t hold your breath. This will be only for Americans :/

agffth

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
The YouTube app keeps crashing on my ATV, so good luck with that guys.

Maybe fix the problems you have already? Just a thought...
I use YouTube on my ATV everyday. It's my main source of watching anything on my TV. I've never had the YouTube app crash on me. I'm annoyed by the recommendations but it's never crashed.

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
youtube used to be great before endless advertisements and monetization and overhyped fake content
So get youtube premium, if you hate ads as much as me ir’s good value just for that (kills evrything put in video sponor spots, thanls linus media gruop :() and you getvsom original content as a bonus, an content creatots get as much as they would get for actually showing you the af, so win all around
[automerge]1581462187[/automerge]
I use YouTube on my ATV everyday. It's my main source of watching anything on my TV. I've never had the YouTube app crash on me. I'm annoyed by the recommendations but it's never crashed.
The one thing I miss in the atv app is 4k thanks to youtube s insistanceb on using a codec without hw acceleration ow well maybe the next atv will have av1 codec support so rhe 4k atv v2 finaly can pkey youtube content sourced at 4k

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.

And I had been watching it for well over a year with no issues, no crashes at all. Until about two months ago. *BOOM* It did it twice in a row, less than a half hour apart. I restarted the ATV between too.

It does it just about every day. Sometimes I can just cancel it, and get back to the main menu, and choose what I was watching, and it runs fine, but a couple of times it's gotten a bug up its butt, and refused to run, even after rebooting a few times. One day, I just ducking gave up and read a book. It flopped around like a dying fish, bombing repeatedly. Next day, everything was great. Not even a hiccup. I can't figure it out. It works when it wants to, but has gotten more diva definitely in the past few months. 'Net neutrality'?

I sure wish I was back to the earlier, good old days...
[automerge]1581469157[/automerge]
youtube used to be great before endless advertisements and monetization and overhyped fake content

Some of the adverts are down right hilarious...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.