YouTube

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rayward, Sep 11, 2007.

1. rayward macrumors 65816

I thought Apple were supposed to be up to speed with Macifying the YouTube library by now. Most of the clips I look for aren't available, even new ones which I presumed were going to be put into the Mac format as they were uploaded.

Anyone have any clue as to what's going on here?

Thanks

2. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

I've seen statements that they plan to have them all done by Fall (Sept 23 in the US) and I have seen some that say by the end of Fall (Dec 21).

Im sure that when they are finished encoding them Apple/Google will make some sort of announcement...

3. rdrr macrumors 6502a

rdrr

Ummm which year? Because fall is fast approaching and like the OP said new "series of tubes" are not available when they are posted. I would think that You Tube would have made less work converting for themselves by fixing that issue first.

4. gceo macrumors 6502a

gceo

My experience is the ones just added do show up.

I currently have 26 videos on my channel right now. None show up before, but as of a month ago, every video that I added went straight to h.264 (or macifying as OP called it) and show up. I've been kind of bummed that the earlier videos didn't have h.264 yet, even though some were popular and had tens of thousands of views. But this last week, some of the videos started to show up under both my AppleTV and the iPhone. So it seems like they are starting to make progress. I wish that they prioritized by the number of views, but it doesn't appear that way.

5. lilnyc macrumors 6502a

lilnyc

Odd. I've found all of the ones I've wanted. Early on, some that were not converted became converted (like the excited pug video).

6. whistler72 macrumors member

i have a bunch that need to be converted. I can't wait for them to show up.

7. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

Ill try not be be a dick posting this but...

Apple is a single entity, 'was' is the proper word
    Google (Youtube) is the one converting everything
    H.264 (what the iphone, ipod touch, and the apple tv uses) is not a proprietary Apple only format. Apple chooses to support it because that is what they like.

Apple's proprietary format is .mov (quicktime)

8. rayward thread starter macrumors 65816

Trying not to be a dick and then commenting on grammar in the very next line is not trying very hard. Especially since I am English, and in English we treat a corporation, like Apple, as a collective, not a single entity. So when I write "Apple were...", I'm being grammatically correct.

I hope that you are more successful at other things you try, because you're not very good at not being a dick.

Also, "I'll" has an apostrophe in it.

9. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

hahahaha...PWNED

10. cybertron3 macrumors member

I'm in ur gramarz, verbing ur adjective nounz.

11. earnjam macrumors 6502a

earnjam

What are "adjective nounz", and how do you verb them?

And back on the topic of YouTube. I have noticed that some more recently posted videos are encoded in .h264, but I was looking for some posted in July on the iPhone and they were nowhere to be found. They were at the top when searching on youtube.com. That was long after the announcement that all videos were going to be converted. They had also announced that starting in June, all videos uploaded would be immediately converted to .h264. Does anyone know if they didn't meet their announced launch date?

12. The General macrumors 601

H.264 is a codec
    .mov is a container
    .avi is a container
    MPEG-4 is a codec
    .mkv is a container
    VC-1 is a codec