Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
Apple made a huge mistake by comparing their own display to reference monitors. The Pro display XDR was NEVER meant to compete with any reference monitors and yet they advertised as a reference monitor from WWDC 2019.

- Blooming issue
- Limited view angle
- Bad uniformity
- Expansive stand
- False advertisement
- etc

What a shame.

martinX

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Australia
Let's say J.J. Abrams is looking over your shoulders
I would be using the Sony monitor that someone else bought me. Then, since I know almost nothing about colour correcting HDR, I may say to myself "Well... how did I get here?"

and wants a bit more lens flare in a particular scene.
Lens flare here we come! This movie will be brighter than an Apple store, JJ. Then, once I realise what I have wrought, I may say to myself "My God! What have I done?"

Reactions: Da_Hood

ekwipt

macrumors 65816
Jan 14, 2008
Apple made a huge mistake by comparing their own display to reference monitors. The Pro display XDR was NEVER meant to compete with any reference monitors and yet they advertised as a reference monitor from WWDC 2019.

- Blooming issue
- Limited view angle
- Bad uniformity
- Expansive stand
- False advertisement
- etc

What a shame.

That's right they could've just come out and said it's the best monitor for the money, not go around comparing them to reference monitors 10x the cost. It's a great monitor, it's even more awesome it's got Apple design ethos and direct plug and play with the latest MacBook Pro and Mac Pro, any professional me included want two to edit on

Reactions: ssgbryan

Braderunner

Suspended
Oct 2, 2015
Tralfamadore
Have a citation? I reread the pc mag article and it did not say Apple compared their monitor to the Sony.
Watch the keynote where they announced it. Watch the video this thread is about. That video exists because Apple did (and nobody else would have if THEY didn't) compare their monitor to the Sony the guy used in the video.
Now, I'm thinking..."Is that what all this uproar is about"? Nobody (who's upset) saw Apple's keynote, or actually watched this guy's video, where he explains why he is doing this specific comparison.

high heaven

Suspended
Dec 7, 2017
That's right they could've just come out and said it's the best monitor for the money, not go around comparing them to reference monitors 10x the cost. It's a great monitor, it's even more awesome it's got Apple design ethos and direct plug and play with the latest MacBook Pro and Mac Pro, any professional me included want two to edit on

Yeah, it's nice but not comparable to reference monitors.

But false advertisement is the worst part.

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Yeah, you can rent monitors. You can rent all the equipment. That's what most productions do. Places even have low-budget production rates.

Again, going back to my example, why does my local TV station run around with $2000-$5000 camcorders when, in your opinion, they should be renting 8K RED cameras?

I guess you also think they send their commercials, TV news, and local sports for color grading. They also should be mixing the nightly news in Dolby Atmos while they're at it.

Think about a budget for a movie. It's $100k-$2 Million a minute. Do you think even a good fraction of video productions have that budget?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ted13

Spungoflex

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2012
A monitor that costs 9x more is better? Wow.

---

He questions whether it's fair to judge a $5,000 monitor against a $43,000 reference display, but points out that it was Apple that made that comparison first at WWDC. "The Pro Display XDR doesn't deliver anywhere close to the consistency and accuracy demanded of reference monitors."

citysnaps

macrumors G5
Oct 10, 2011
Same people who need a $6000 8core /32GB of ram/256GB of storage/r 580 gpu computer.
How're they called? Ah yes "The real professional" in other words a delusional crowd with a lot of money.

They're certainly out there with reviews. The problem is they're not professional you-tubers, and thus don't get much traction in that world.

az431

Suspended
Sep 13, 2008
Portland, OR
He has over 150k+ subscribers. Not exactly a 'random' Youtube person. Plus Youtubers do a better job reviewing tech than 'real' reviewers (who are 'real' reviewers anyways?). I find that Youtubers like Dave2D, Linus Tech Tips, MobileTechReview, MrMobile etc do a way better job than those editors at Verge, Engadget, Gizmodo, CNET, etc anyways

What is the relevance of having X number of subscribers to someone’s qualifications, experience, education, and credibility?

I’ll answer that for you. Zero.

Anyone can start a YouTube channel and say whatever they want.

aevan

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2015
Serbia
With that said, I've not heard any complaints on the monitor and every YTer I've seen has loved the monitor.

Of course there aren't any complaints, Vincent is known for exaggerating things in the A/V world, like a lot of people in that community - "Molecules of the screen are not aligned with the ley lines of the universe", stuff like that. According to him, a professional needs a 43K monitor to create. Sure.

The point is, you get a comparable screen for 8x less money, and of course it will be slightly worse (in some areas, not all), and of course Apple will market it as "best pro display". In reality, it is probably the best monitor for a lot of people.

He makes his living of calibration, convincing people their picture is wrong until he adjusts the skin tone from 0.5% red to 0.4% red.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
Of course there aren't any complaints, Vincent is known for exaggerating things in the A/V world, like a lot of people in that community - "Molecules of the screen are not aligned with the ley lines of the universe", stuff like that. According to him, a professional needs a 43K monitor to create. Sure.

The point is, you get a comparable screen for 8x less money, and of course it will be slightly worse (in some areas, not all), and of course Apple will market it as "best pro display". In reality, it is probably the best monitor for a lot of people.

He makes his living of calibration, convincing people their picture is wrong until he adjusts the gray shade from 0.5% blue to 0.4% blue.

he himself said that it wouldn't be a fair comparison and he only compared it cause Apple compared it

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Bad faith post. I asked a question and got this run around. Maybe they did say this and I missed it...but then a link should be easy. Right? Because I can’t find it.
Here's a screenshot, buddy. Also watch the video from HDVTest at 10 seconds in.

Stop being so smug--you are only asking to get dunked on.
Screen Shot 2020-02-13 at 5.17.28 PM.png

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand
He is not random, he is a known snake oil salesman from the TV world.

Ok, kidding, he's known in the enthusiast community who looks at screens with a magnifying glass and talks about 5% gray uniformity like it is essential to enjoying a good movie.

snakeoil.. where can I buy some, I've been watching his reviews for years and never felt him sell anything to me.

Reactions: Glockworkorange

Zdigital2015

macrumors 601
Jul 14, 2015
East Coast, United States
Exactly -- because the Pro Display XDR was certainly not meant for me. I still want an "Apple 5K Thunderbolt 3 Display" with a built-in Thunderbolt-3 dock including 10 gigabit ethernet, HDMI, USB-A, USB-C, Firewire, Super-fast SD Card Reader, etc.... A thunderbolt 3 display with ONLY more USB-C ports is worthless since because.... the MacBook Pro already has those ports!
FireWire? No, just no... no more damn useless legacy ports. USB-A is bad enough without wasting everyone’s time pining for FW800.

As a general statement, if you have FW800 gear, go sell it or upgrade it. It’s dead, thank God!

Reactions: citysnaps

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago
Honest question... Could be dumb but whatever.

What is the point of the $43,000 monitor? I understand content creators want to make sure everything looks great.. But if a $5,000 monitor cannot even produce quality high enough to compare... Then why are they spending so much money on these? Who and where is someone consuming tv/movies that it requires details only $43,000 monitors can produce? Who are they producing this for?

Reactions: Basic75

konqerror

macrumors 68020
Dec 31, 2013
Honest question... Could be dumb but whatever.

What is the point of the $43,000 monitor? I understand content creators want to make sure everything looks great.. But if a $5,000 monitor cannot even produce quality high enough to compare... Then why are they spending so much money on these? Who and where is someone consuming tv/movies that it requires details only $43,000 monitors can produce? Who are they producing this for?

This was answered. A: cinemas, B: future-proofing your content.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.