YouTube's H 264 conversion

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jlg, Jan 15, 2008.

1. jlg macrumors newbie

Please could someone help me understand why the home movie I uploaded to YouTube yesterday cannot stream to my iPhone. If it is, as I suspect, because my file is not in H264 will format then I am baffled - because I thought all new files uploaded to YouTube as from last June would be converted by YouTube immediately. If I am wrong about that, and new movies have to join a queue, then does anyone know when the complete H264 switch-over will be finished?

2. sparkyms macrumors 65816

how did you search for your clip?

try searching your youtube username in the app.

3. MattsxB macrumors member

It may take some time.. It took 2 days for them to convert the videos last week....

4. jlg thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies. If I understand correctly, are you're saying that all new home movies submitted to YouTube are being converted to streaming format for iPhone (i.e. H264) but that there is a delay of a few days? If so, does YouTube plan for it to be immediate? I think I'm right in saying it has always been immediate with Flash format in the past, so why can't it be immediate for H264 going forward? Having to wait a day or two before you can watch on the iPhone/iPod Touch isn't ideal and it doesn't make Apple or YouTube look good so I'm surprised. Surely they plan for it to be immediate (or am I missing something?)