Youtube's HTML5 problem in safari 4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by latogoga, Feb 22, 2010.

1. latogoga macrumors member

Hi, i've been testing youtube's html5 beta on my aluminum macbook, 2,4ghz, 2gb ram, nvidia 6400m, OSX 10.5.8 after reading everywhere that it was less resource intensive than flash video, in fact, most of the things i've read said it was a huge performance boost.

Nevertheless, after checking activity monitor I get

Youtube with html5, around 95.0 CPU usage

Youtube with flash video, around 65.0 CPU usage.

So, whats the problem with my mac?? why do i get this results when lots of people are saying they get around 15% cpu usage with youtube html5 an safari 4???

I would like to hear some opinions.

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Try upgrading to Snow Leopard and I think you will see that difference.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I signed up for the HTML5 beta. How do I know that I'm watching using HTML5? Does it automatically do it until I opt out of the beta?

4. Mew2468 macrumors regular

As the video is loading, you'll see "HTML5". Certain videos won't load in the HTML5 player and will just load in the flash player (I forget which ones specifically, at the moment).

5. Hypex macrumors newbie

Use normal youtube, install ClickToFlash and enable the youtube in quicktime thing. It plays youtube as h.264 in quicktime and is far better than youtubes html5 beta.

6. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

The beta isn't working for me either. The video doesn't load sometimes or it just shows a black screen while the audio is playing.

7. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

HTML5 sucks for me as well. In fact, I don't remember flash ever being a problem for me. I'm swapping back to flash.