Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSteve-O

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2011
A bunch of complainers in here. Sheesh!

Most shows on TV have ads, so maybe they should get rid of that too :rolleyes:

cclloyd

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2011
Alpha Centauri A

I DVR most things and watch later, skipping commercials :p

I also like how in CT they have a law that forces the volume of commercials to be equal to or less than that of the show.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I also like how in CT they have a law that forces the volume of commercials to be equal to or less than that of the show.

I wish they did that here; there's a guideline of some sort but not all of the channels abide by it.

Jsameds

Suspended
Apr 22, 2008
If you have jailbroken device you can install 'Adblocker' which will remove these annoying YT ads.

It will also remove ads from web browsers and also iAds from any given app.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
I wish they did that here; there's a guideline of some sort but not all of the channels abide by it.

The guidelines are quite strict in the UK, with an average of 7 minutes per hour allowed.

On the commercial channels, the amount of airtime allowed by the UK broadcasting regulator Ofcom for advertising is an overall average of 7 minutes per hour, with limits of 12 minutes for any particular clock hour (8 minutes per hour between 6pm and 11pm).

Still too much for me though. I rarely watch commercial TV live and just skip the adverts on my TiVo. The only time I watch it live is when the football is on and I go and make myself a drink when the adverts are on at half time. :)

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The guidelines are quite strict in the UK, with an average of 7 minutes per hour allowed.

Which knocks everything out of whack here when British programmes run from, say, 7:30 until 8:35, then the next one from 8:35 until 9:40. Of course, they *could* just shorten the ad breaks to match yours but that'd make too much sense!

At least it's not as bad as Hulu. An ad to start, then the opening credits, then 3-4 more ads... Bafflingly, they also put an ad block right before the ending credits, apparently under the impression that you're going to stick around and watch them!

Last edited:

anomie

Suspended
Jun 29, 2010
I ususally look away when the ads pop up on my iPhone anyways. ;)

And still your brain registered every single ad.
It just works.

Personally I never used the YouTube app since chrome allows me to watch the videos inside chrome.

AppleMark

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2009
The CCTV Capital of the World

Are you sure? I thought it was up to 12 minutes per hour, especially on Pay TV.

The average 1 hour programme made for commercial TV is approximately 42 minutes long. This is verified when you watch the clock when forwarding anything on SKY+, or watch on Netflix etc.

I know that there are schedule announcements and promos, but not 11 minutes worth with only 7 minutes of Adverts surely? I also thought the 7 minute thing was a guideline, or something that Ofcom were working towards.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Its free and my most used app on the ipad. Cant complain. I do wish there was a payed version and had a whole catelogue of all the lastest tv shows and movies and even live sports (look at the ipl, it can be done) then id get rid of my tv box that i hardly use but spend so much on.

----------

Cant get all of the other streaming services here in poland like netflix etc

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
Are you sure? I thought it was up to 12 minutes per hour, especially on Pay TV.

The average 1 hour programme made for commercial TV is approximately 42 minutes long. This is verified when you watch the clock when forwarding anything on SKY+, or watch on Netflix etc.

I know that there are schedule announcements and promos, but not 11 minutes worth with only 7 minutes of Adverts surely? I also thought the 7 minute thing was a guideline, or something that Ofcom were working towards.

The quote in my post from Wikipedia says 7 minutes per hour is supposed to be the average with 12 minutes the maximum in any one clock hour.

If I remember correctly, it only cover external advertisements and trailers for upcoming programs are not part of limit. You might be right about it only covering terrestrial TV.

There was a year long trial in 2011 to allow up to 12 minutes per hour, I'm not sure if that was extended?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008

TV doesn't count. It's an outdated, archaic media model. Built on ads originally to keep it up and running. However paying for cable well, a conversation for later.

As for YouTube - the data plan I PAY for on my mobile phone is mine. I should not have to PAY to watch ****** ads on a mobile device. I don't support ad supported apps at all. I'm not a walking billboard. Either give me an option to pay NOT to see it or don't waste my data.

Same with Hulu+. $8 dollars a month and still sit through ads. How the hell does that work? I am better off torrenting what I want to watch WITHOUT ADS and other BS. Free. Again, using my data that I pay for to show your ads that again, I pay for.

It's a ****** dynamic.

B4U

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2012
Undisclosed location
You get annoyed, yet your brain still hears the ad and processes it.

I'm just thankful that AdBlock on Cydia works in the app :)

I also use my dd-wrt router to block ads for all devices by returning 0.0.0.0 for the IP when an ad is called. Any protocol, any port, always.

My brain does not process it if I always mute the thing and use the 4 finger up gesture on the touchpad.
Now that you brought up the router block, that does ring a bell.

----------

I just safari. Rarely do I see an add.

Not on my iMac...it still shows the darn ads...

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands

They should.

How many people actually watch those TV ads?
It's fun that measuring the amount of people watching a show is probably leading in calculating the price for "ad space" on a TV channel, but are they also measuring how many of those watchers zapp away during a commercial break, or simply look away (or leave the room...)?

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
This Youtube App is the last trace I have of anything google on my iPad. And am very close to removing this as well. These extra ads might be the tipping point. I buy bandwidth and google is telling me what I should be doing with the bandwidth I paid for. If I told google what to do with the things it purchases, I'd be told to **** off. But they can do this exact thing to us all.

The only power we have is not to use the youtube iOS app anymore.

FirstNTenderbit

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2013
Atlanta
I understand why Apple dropped the native stock app but by doing so they have created an increased ad revenue for Google!

Wonder if the trade off is worth it?

I guess I wouldn't want a competitors product shipped integrated with my product either even if not doing so made them more $!

There's no correlation. Apple doesn't care if Google makes money. Google doesn't care if Apple makes money. Each company is concerned about their own money. We, the tech fans and forum lurkers are the only ones who seem to care. Some more than others.

A dollar spent with one company doesn't directly translate to a dollar not spent with another.

ReanimationN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Australia
This Youtube App is the last trace I have of anything google on my iPad. And am very close to removing this as well. These extra ads might be the tipping point. I buy bandwidth and google is telling me what I should be doing with the bandwidth I paid for. If I told google what to do with the things it purchases, I'd be told to **** off. But they can do this exact thing to us all.

The only power we have is not to use the youtube iOS app anymore.

Get McTube (if it's available), YouPlayer or Jasmine. All will play videos without any ads, and all have options for video quality, which the official app doesn't have. They're far better apps.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
At least it's not as bad as Hulu. An ad to start, then the opening credits, then 3-4 more ads... Bafflingly, they also put an ad block ...

The baffling thing about Hulu is people actually pay to watch ad infested programs. Why????? There are other ways to get the same content without the annoyance factor.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
The baffling thing about Hulu is people actually pay to watch ad infested programs. Why????? There are other ways to get the same content without the annoyance factor.

I just use the free version of Hulu; does the paid one still have ads? :eek:

mdehoogh

macrumors member
Oct 30, 2012
TV doesn't count. It's an outdated, archaic media model. Built on ads originally to keep it up and running. However paying for cable well, a conversation for later.

As for YouTube - the data plan I PAY for on my mobile phone is mine. I should not have to PAY to watch ****** ads on a mobile device. I don't support ad supported apps at all. I'm not a walking billboard. Either give me an option to pay NOT to see it or don't waste my data.

Same with Hulu+. $8 dollars a month and still sit through ads. How the hell does that work? I am better off torrenting what I want to watch WITHOUT ADS and other BS. Free. Again, using my data that I pay for to show your ads that again, I pay for.

It's a ****** dynamic.

I don't understand, you don't think you should have to pay for a service that you wish to use?

If you want general internet connectivity on a mobile device, you must pay a carrier who has a network of towers and infrastructure so that you can have access even as you move around town.

You seem to understand and accept that part. However,

If you want access to YouTube, you must pay Google who has a series of datacenters where they host and serve content to any customer at any time.

Why should paying carriers to use their network exempt you from paying Google to use their datacenters?

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
I don't understand, you don't think you should have to pay for a service that you wish to use?

If you want general internet connectivity on a mobile device, you must pay a carrier who has a network of towers and infrastructure so that you can have access even as you move around town.

You seem to understand and accept that part. However,

If you want access to YouTube, you must pay Google who has a series of datacenters where they host and serve content to any customer at any time.

Why should paying carriers to use their network exempt you from paying Google to use their datacenters?

On a land line ISP - I could care less. On a mobile device where my data is at 5gig - I care. I don't want to see ads on my mobile device, periods. I don't care whose serving them up. ADS ADS ADS ADS ADS ADS ADS

That's all it is now. ADS. Hulu, Apple, Google, Microsoft, TV - So many ads that they have last their purpose and people just tune them out now. When they start digging at my data I don't like it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.