You've considered Android but stayed with iPhone -- why?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Broadus, Aug 11, 2015.

1. Broadus macrumors 6502a

My first and only smartphone is my 4S. For the past two or three years I would look seriously at Android alternatives, either for the larger screen before the iPhone 6 came out or simply to save money with a more moderately-priced phone.

I've been thinking about the 2015 version of the Moto X, which seems like it's going to be a very good phone, especially considering its value. If a 64 GB model is $499, that would put it 2/3 the cost of a 64 GB iPhone 6S if Apple's prices remain the same. $250 is a pretty substantial savings in my budget.

Still, I have about decided to get the 6S instead. I plan to keep the phone for at least four years, so the higher price seems less a factor over the long haul. The way that the iPhone works seamlessly with my iPad and MBP, however, is the primary factor that keeps me from buying a Moto X.

Anyone else? Or perhaps you've gone with an Android and haven't looked back. I'm interested in any perspective.

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I have a nexus and every time I think about it I use the nexus. I think the longest I've gone is 48 hours before I'm back with my iPhone.

Main reason is the Apple ecosystem. I'm tied in with my Apple Watch, iPad, Mac mini and MacBook. My kids are all setup through me for purchases etc and I'm fully invested in iTunes Match.

As for android. There are a lot of frustrations that I could list but there are a lot.

3. Dave245 macrumors 601

I'm in the apple ecosystem and after owning a Samsung S4 I went back to the iPhone within months because I hated Touchwiz, the bloat ware and the problems in Android, I much prefer IOS it's more polished, looks better and is far more reliable. I do however like the look of the Note series, the S pen features look good but not enough to make me leave iPhone, personally I think it's the best phone on the market for reliability.

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I had a WinMo phone in the early days of Android. That gave me an ability to install an Android emulator on that phone. I was not impressed then.

We recently got two Android tablets as part of a promotion deal with Sprint. The damn things are really horrible to use.

Android has options, which is cool, but it takes you a bazillion steps to get there. But my single biggest complaint is that Android is ugly. Add clunky into it and it's just irritating.

Ugly icons, ugly GUI. Now, Apple isn't so great there either, but at least their icons look finished. And while I dislike the straightjacket Apple puts you in as far as limitations on what you can do I much appreciate a more finished looking interface.

I get around Apple's limitations however by jailbreaking.

If I were to leave Apple it would be for a WinMo phone. I just can't hang with Android's ugliness.

5. geoff5093 macrumors 68000

geoff5093

The Moto X 2015 costs $399 for 16GB, and I believe $449 for 32GB, or $499 for 64GB, however the 64GB iPhone 6+ (which is the same size equivalent) costs $849, so significantly more.

6. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

Apple App Store is waaaaaaay better than Google Play in my opinion, that's my big reason for sticking with iOS.

7. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Right. Going to the larger 6 Plus (or 6S Plus) makes the price difference even more stark.

8. eclipse01 macrumors 68020

eclipse01

I tried Android (Nexus 7) it was alright, until Lollipop.

now its a slow buggy mess.

Its funny because the specs of a Mini 3 is not too much better then the 2012 nexus, but yet it fly's with the latest firmware on it.

9. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Most promotional tablets given out for signing contracts and the like are horrible devices to begin with. I would counter and say that Android 5.0 and up looks real nice. Much more polish and very fluid if running stock. If you've only used skinned versions of Android I can understand your frustration...

As to the OP, I've had the dilemma where I want to switch off of Android and have yet to do so. The 2015 Moto X is a very tempting phone, and even a decent upgrade from my 2014 Moto X, but I will be going iPhone for the first time since using a smartphone in 2009. I've already been banking on doing so, and if I dislike it, well I get a 14 day return period :D

10. sddabrow macrumors 6502

It is all about eco-system. Had the iPhone4S and now my Note 3 for 2 years and while I love the phone, I will be going back to the Iphone6S once it is released. Having a Macbook and Ipad Air 2, I want the eco-system feel of having all my messages through i-message and utilizing little things like the hand-off feature, photo stream, etc.

I have work-arounds for Android with the Macbook, but they are exactly that.. workarounds.

No gripes with Android though and I will always keep one around the house to work things with my Chromecast but ultimately the eco-system and i-message is what is drawing me back to iPhone.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

I would go back to Blackberry before I did Android. Even my friends who have Android wait for the day they move to Apple:apple:

I might break ranks here this fall if Apple does not give us a great iPad Pro as the MS Surface Pro 4 is looking like my next device to replace laptop!

12. daviddcmd macrumors member

I have an Iphone 6 and Sony Z3. The Iphone is more polished yes, but the screen, battery life and camera are better, in some cases far better, than the Iphone on the Z3. I hate going through Itunes for everything also.

Put it this way I have to jailbreak the iphone to get it to do what I want, not so with the Z3.

13. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have been tempted by Android (mainly for a back up phone), but I really haven't come across an Android phone that I really like. Each time I find a decently priced Galaxy S5, I don't pull the trigger since I know iOS is more polished and the Android phone will probably just sit in a drawer, unless my iPhone was dropped in water and I couldn't use it.

Plus, I'm deeply engrained in the Apple ecosystem with owning an iPhone 6, iPad Mini 2 and MBP.

14. BlueGoldAce macrumors 68000

You asking in the wrong place bud. I'm using an iPhone now, but have used most high end android. The current gen of android, in its state as a mature operating system, is great. Once you get used to it, it's a really great OS. Push bullet can be used to send sms from your computer. Gmail, or whatever, has draft function that is nearly as good as handoff.

Honestly it should come down to preference, price, and compatibility. If preference and comparability are wavering...price should easily be the deciding factor. Worse comes to worse you can sale it and recoup most of the money spent.

I am using an iPhone now, because I wanted to lock myself into the discounted T-Mobile rate on the upcoming iPhone ($240 saved over 18 months). I will either get the new six plus or the note 5. I have an iPad Air 2, and used to have a MacBook. I found it easily to switch back and forth. Compatibility was never a issue.

That being said, I'll probably end up with the next iPhone. The note 5 rumors are looking nice, but I doubt it will be nice enough to justify the extra cost over the iPhone six s plus, when the T-Mobile deal is considered.

See, my choice between the note 5 and new iPhones was too close to call based on preference and comparability. As such, unless something cheated, price will be deciding factor...hence the iPhone.

15. 960design macrumors 68000

Yeah, we are all more than a little biased here. I can give you a true story though. Everyone of my geeky friends have tried an Android device for a year or two... they always come back to the iPhone. ( By everyone of my geeky friends, I mean the one friend I have... locked in my basement ).

A year or two back, I messed around with Ubuntu Touch on a nexus. I was pretty impressed and unhappy to see that the production failed to happen due to lack of demand ( money ). So I sit here with my iPhone and my friend.

16. Nickpocalypse macrumors regular

I've gone to Android a few times over the years (Sony Xperia Arc, HTC One M7 [really enjoyed that one] and Sony Z3 Compact), but I always come back, primarily due to the Music. I'm not really entrenched in the Apple ecosystem, but I'm definitely entrenched in the iTunes ecosystem.

17. Cutiekitty92 macrumors 65816

Cutiekitty92

The whole simplicity Of iOS compared to android. Tried with the Samsung note 3 and Samsung s6 but always went back to iPhone. And when I have MacBook too it just makes sense

18. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

iTunes is a big part of my reluctance to try Android.

I would probably give the Moto X 2015 a go simply due to its bang-for-the-buck, but I suspect the whole Apple ecosystem integration will make me regret it. Work-arounds appear widely disappointing.

19. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

If you've only tried Android on Samsung devices, and keep going back to them after having a bad experience, there is a reason you don't like Android. Try another manufacturer please. There are many different flavors of Android, some with more toppings than others and a lot of times those extra toppings aren't that good.

20. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Samsung devices are not on my radar. Motorola, though, seems to get good reviews on its stock Android.

21. ninaco macrumors 6502

ninaco

I'm the opposite of the OP. I have Android, but want to move to the iPhone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S4. I like the phone just fine. Screen size is great - wouldn't want smaller. Can't say I love Lollipop or the way Android OS updates are done, though.

And, being in a non-Apple eco-system is more annoying than expected. (I have an iPad Air 2 that I use for most everything as well as an iPod touch.)

I don't particularly trust that the apps on the Google Play store have been well vetted. As a result, I don't use the phone to visit any site where personal information or a credit card is required. (I use a gift card for Google Play purchases.) Maybe a little paranoid, but I've caught enough news stories on the flashlight apps alone to make me cautious. :confused:

I've never had an iPhone, but I'm going to give serious consideration to the 6s Plus. Just wish it wasn't so darn expensive!

22. Broadus thread starter macrumors 6502a

Expensive is the big thing. I don't really need all that the iPhone delivers, but it's a premium product that people are willing to pay a premium price for. Still, experiences like yours with Android are convincing me to bite the bullet and replace my 4S with a 6S.

23. nordique macrumors 6502a

A good phone is a good phone, and one should't be so entrenched in ideals that one operating system is significantly superior than the other: both androids and iPhones do essentially the same thing as you have your social media apps, you make phone calls, you send texts, check mail, browse the web...

It boils down to personal preference and doesn't really make a difference at all in the end. Both have their advantages and disadvantages; I'm not really a fan of playing into childish "fanboy wars"

That said, the main reason I stuck with iPhones (and will in the future) is just that I am already invested in the App and iTunes ecosystem. I don't care much for it being Apple or any of that stuff, though I do like how they design their products - I am perfectly able to be critical of their short comings too - its more the fact that my first modern smartphone was an iPhone 4, a phone which I loved a lot, and since then I have put in a fair amount of investment into Apps and iTunes that to repurchase a lot of it all over again on an Android which does basically the same thing at the end of the day (a phone is a phone), is pointless to me.

I have tried going with Android on 4 different occasions with great phones over the years, and I have enjoyed the experiences. I think Android is a fantastic platform. I just saw not real difference in the end as I'm using a phone to call, to text, to check email, browse the web, and peep social media. They do the same core things at the end of the day.

As 2 added bonuses; I started using Mac OSX as my primary desktop experience a few years back and it syncs up much better with iOS (naturally) and my family Overseas and south of the border also seems to have iPhones/iPads primarily so I am able to send iMessages and use FaceTime with ease to keep in touch.

I am disinterested in the flame wars from elitists on both ends. There are shortcomings to both operating systems.

I simply got aboard the iOS train with the iPhone 4 and since both the iOS and Android trains do the exact same thing at the end of the day, I see no point in switching when I have all my stuff invested and synced with my Apple ID.

The customer service is also on point, helpful, and the iOS is ecosystem is well supported with software updates (iPad 2 and iPhone 4s still being supported with iOS 9? Fantastic stuff especially since I use my 4s regularly as my secondary device) - and to add I have found that Apple Care plus (since its inception) is a fantastic service which has bailed out my utter clumsiness mixed with my need to use a phone without a case, on multiple occasions.

I love Android, and appreciate much about the flagship smartphones (Galaxy S6 for example is an incredible device...the OLED screen is tops in the industry....LG G4 has an incredible camera...Moto G, its amazing what Motorola continues to offer at such a low price point) but there's no point for me to switch ecosystems, other than a net-negative effect.

24. bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I wasn't specifically referring to you, just the broader audience of Android curious people. I wholeheartedly agree that Motorola has an amazing device in the 2015 X.